tipped matchkings same load data as 1st gen SMK?

the444shooter

Does the different ogive and new tip mean that totally new data will need to be utilized with the new TMK, or can they be substituted interchangeably?

Does the different ogive and new tip mean that totally new data will need to be utilized with the new TMK, or can they be substituted interchangeably?
More than likely they will be close but different. Sierra will Email you any data you want just give them a call.

In my two .308's I used the same data (except seating depth)and luckily they both shot great. Your mileage may vary.
They shot to same POI at 100 too.

The TMK is said to have a significantly higher BC, it is much longer and the ogive is quite a bit closer to the base. No way to get close to the lands at mag length but they appear to handle a jump well. May take up some case capacity with the longer length, so I've used a bit less powder. Haven't run them across a chrono yet but was able to get some nice groups at 100 with my 308 using the 175's.

I found the 69 TMK's to have a lower muzzle velocity vs the standard 69 SMK's, using the same powder charge in my 22-250. That suggests a higher max charge for the TMK in my rifle. Though I didn't measure the two to compare bearing surface, I suspect the TMK has a shorter bearing surface than the SMK.

Incidentally, the standard 69 SMK stabilizes and shoots well in my 12 twist 22-250. In contrast, the TMK's hit the target sideways, so it looks like they need more twist to stabilize than the SMK's do. Looks like the TMK's will be reserved for use in my 9 twist .223...

Interesting. I haven't tried them in 223 yet. I have some 77 TMK's I need to load up. I'll be using them in an 8 twist barrel. The 175's don't have much higher BC than the 168's but the 77's have quite a bit higher BC than the 69's. I'm wondering if the 175's will really have much of an advantage over the 168 TMK's.

I know this is a little old but I keep getting the same question from lots of people while at the range or comps. So after shooting 1,059 of the 155 TMK I have found if you have data for the AMAX to use the instead of the SMK. Charges and lengths are closer and easier to find your final load.

I have found loads to be interchangeable. I have also found the TMK can give you more velocity with a bit more powder with what appears to be the same pressure due to the shorter bearing surface. I have also tried different seating depths and it hasn't mattered. They group the same. I'm getting .3-.4 MOA to 300 yards with the 175 and 155.

No BC tests yet.

Had anyone heard rumors of a tipped 210 MK? (sorry for the hijack.)

I have not but would also love a 190TMK. The 175 was a Godsend for 308 shooters. A 190 would be awesome. I've been praying for a 178 Amax type bullet with a real BC. The 175TMK might fill that niche.

My only hope now is that they react like the Amax on lighter game at lower velocities. If they do, I'd be extremely happy.

I have not but would also love a 190TMK. The 175 was a Godsend for 308 shooters. A 190 would be awesome. I've been praying for a 178 Amax type bullet with a real BC. The 175TMK might fill that niche.

My only hope now is that they react like the Amax on lighter game at lower velocities. If they do, I'd be extremely happy.
I agree with everything you said. I would love the 190 in my '06 and a 210 in my 300 Weatherby.

I have compared the 178 Amax next to the 178 BTHP, and the boattail is longer and the ogive is longer. I think, if Hornady would make a tipped bullet with the same boatail and ogive length, they would really have something...

I will be trying the 155 TMK on speed goat this year and planning trying to get the shoot around 400 to 500 yards and will report back.

What velocity will you be running the 155's?

Over my V3 I'm getting 2965 with an ES of 9 and a STD of 4. This is out of a trued 700 Rock Creek rem varmint contour 11.25 twist and a no turn 308.

The load is:
Norma brass
44.1 grains Ar Comp (over Max)
Wolf LR Primer

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.