Tipped Match King terminal performance

sierracharlie338

Anyone have any experience with the tipped match kings in a hunting setting, specifically terminal performance?
Looking for a solid bullet option for a 300wm 10 twist. Despite everything being sold out I managed to find some TMKs in stock but have no experience with them.

Thanks in advance
SC

77 gr .224 TMKs are pretty impressive on whitetails out of a 223/5.56. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with a 30 caliber TMK, but I would try to avoid the shoulder.
This ^^^

77 TMKs on whitetail are just like Berger hunting VLDs in my experience. 22 hole for about 2 inches then devastating fragmentation. Left over cup and core embedded on the other side. True bang-flop, no twitch.

I can't see how the TMK would react a whole lot different than the old SMK would.

That being said I've used the 30 cal 190 SMK a lot and the 22 cal 69 SMK a lot and I think they are both great hunting bullets. As mentioned, small entry holes, big internal damage, sometimes not much of an exit. The 190 was about 50/50 on exit holes.

I can't see how the TMK would react a whole lot different than the old SMK would.

That being said I've used the 30 cal 190 SMK a lot and the 22 cal 69 SMK a lot and I think they are both great hunting bullets. As mentioned, small entry holes, big internal damage, sometimes not much of an exit. The 190 was about 50/50 on exit holes.
I think the tip would make them expand quicker than the SMK.
I've tested the SMK and they wouldnt open reliably under about 2400' in my testing. Just my experience.

I have a great load with the 7mm 160 TMK in my .280AI @ 3009fps suppressed. Smashed deer-sized game, and like a grenade on coyotes.

A buddy shoots the same bullets in his .280AI @ 3026fps, and hammers deer and pronghorn with them.

Another buddy uses them in his .280AI at 2990fps, and has taken a few elk and deer with them too.

The 7mm 160TMK seems to work phenomenally on game for us. From 50ish to 700+.

I wouldn't use them on anything you want to recover. I've shot a number of the 77gr .223s into coyote. Most have blown up pretty good. Not guaranteed penetration on anything of decent size. Definitely would not even think of considering them for elk.

I've shot a LOT of the 95 in 6mm and 77's in .223. Prairie dogs to antelope. My buddy uses the 60 gr .223 for coyotes to great effect as well. They do work "better" than the old SMK's and for me seem to be just as accurate. That said, I do have a great .308 and '06 load for the 195's and they will be put in service for antelope first, then deer, then elk. As stated above, I'd stay away from the shoulder, and sneak it thru the ribs. Every bullet has some sort of idiosyncrasy, and these prove no different. Accurate loads and well placed shots stop critters, regardless of bullet construction. Just know your own limitations along with that of the given projectile. Years ago I got a lot of flak for hunting with a .308 and 175 SMK's. Silly accurate from and AR10 with a self imposed 600 yard limit. Furthest elk was 450 I think, and no argument from her.

I'm a firm believer in "use bullets how they were designed for". If you want to use target bullets on varmints go right ahead, but please don't use them on game. They can be extremely destructive and can't be depended on to penetrate.