Timney trigger problems

WV Sendero

I installed a timney trigger on a new sendero about a month ago and realized today that when the gun is held upside down or straight up in the air the firing pin is released when the bolt is closed when safety is in fire position (the gun was not loaded when I discovered this). Never releases unintentionally when held in normal positions and the bolt is worked. It can be jarred off by slamming the butt of the gun on the ground but it has to be slammed very hard, hard enough that it doesn't concern me. No unintentional firings either when the gun is pointed straight up, bolt worked, then taken off safe. So what would cause the gun to fire without pulling the trigger only when bolt is worked with safety off and the gun pointed straight up or held upside down?

I installed a timney trigger on a new sendero about a month ago and realized today that when the gun is held upside down or straight up in the air the firing pin is released when the bolt is closed when safety is in fire position (the gun was not loaded when I discovered this). Never releases unintentionally when held in normal positions and the bolt is worked. It can be jarred off by slamming the butt of the gun on the ground but it has to be slammed very hard, hard enough that it doesn't concern me. No unintentional firings either when the gun is pointed straight up, bolt worked, then taken off safe. So what would cause the gun to fire without pulling the trigger only when bolt is worked with safety off and the gun pointed straight up or held upside down?

It sounds like a sear adjustment problem. but if you are not familiar with adjusting triggers you need to send it back to timney for repair or replace.

Some times dirty triggers will act this way but a new trigger shouldn't.

If you adjusted the trigger pull you may have adjusted the sear by mistake.( it happens ).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
In addition to the sear, check to make sure that the trigger spring is exerting enough force on the trigger. If the pull weight is too low, the spring might not be long enough.

You should also call MSNBC, and complain about the upside down thing.

It sounds like a sear adjustment problem. but if you are not familiar with adjusting triggers you need to send it back to timney for repair or replace.

Some times dirty triggers will act this way but a new trigger shouldn't.

If you adjusted the trigger pull you may have adjusted the sear by mistake.( it happens ).

J E CUSTOM

I was wondering if sear problems would cause that. I did adjust the weight but I'm 100% sure I only adjusted the weight. I contacted Timney about it to see what they had to say but they haven't returned my call yet. Thanks for the help and I will post an update when I get this resolved.

Last edited:
Talked to Kevin at Timney and he was very helpful. Turns out it was just set a hair too light. 1/4 turn in fixed the problem. He explained why this could occur in some positions but not others and offered to walk me through any other adjustments if they had to be made.

That's exactly what I was going to say in response to your problem, but by the time I read through and got down here to post you had it figured out!!! They are a good trigger, but like everything else, you need to follow the directions to a T so that everything is set properly and make the checks they tell you to so nothing bad happens. I have been very happy with the one I put in my 03A3 about 10 years ago.

That's exactly what I was going to say in response to your problem, but by the time I read through and got down here to post you had it figured out!!! They are a good trigger, but like everything else, you need to follow the directions to a T so that everything is set properly and make the checks they tell you to so nothing bad happens. I have been very happy with the one I put in my 03A3 about 10 years ago.

Yeh, I just got a little light on it because I didn't have a pull gauge. I really happy with mine too, much better than that x-mark junk that came on my sendero.

Necro thread here, but I have this same issue with my 700. I do have it set very light, but after I take it out shooting I feel like the pull gets very heavy. I started off at the 100 yard range shooting and it felt nice and light as always. Then I moved out to the long range and I was getting quite a bit of dust kicked up towards my rifle from the wind. By the end of the day I felt like I had a 7lb trigger. Does it just need cleaned? I dont' want to have to take my rilfe out of the stock every time I take it shooting.

I had the exact same problem described in this thread and solved it the exact same way. No issues since tightening it back up a bit.

Timney is in Phoenix close to me. I have installed a couple dozen on rifles for my friends and my own. Never a problem and always treated great. Locals can call ahead, order a trigger and they will set it to your specific pull weight and pick it up that afternoon. Their instructions are accurate and easy. I also like the three position feature on them. I am not surprised the OP's problem was solved quickly and correctly.

• Never heard of a problem with Timney triggers, poor quality control or installation. Call Timney request an RA and send it back let them do the guess work or they will send a new one. My smitty Steve has installed over a hundred on various actions, even an M4, 1 failure. good track record, eh?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.