Timney trigger for remington advice

Bigeclipse

Hey all,
I am looking to get a timney trigger for my remington 700 mountain SS. This is the newer mountain SS that comes with the bell and carlson stock released last year, not the older one. My question is, which timney trigger do I get as I think there are different ones for different model remington 700s and I am really confused while swowering the net. My second question is, how hard is it to install? From what I gather it looks like you take action out of stock. Push a couple pins out and the old trigger comes out, new trigger goes in. I am sure I am forgetting a couple steps but just wanted to make sure that is basically the gist of it. Will the timney trigger use the factory safety on the rifle or is that part of the trigger swap as well...thanks everyone again. I do ask a lot of questions...believe me when I say I do look on the net before posting new threads but sometimes I get more questions than answers.

I have put a couple of these in my rifles. The first one, I bought without the new safety. The second, I bought with it. Both are easy to install but if I did it again, I would just get the one that comes with it. I personally just had a custom rifle built and will never buy another trigger unless it says "Jewel" on the package again. HOLY SMOKES, these things are AWESOME!

I have put a couple of these in my rifles. The first one, I bought without the new safety. The second, I bought with it. Both are easy to install but if I did it again, I would just get the one that comes with it. I personally just had a custom rifle built and will never buy another trigger unless it says "Jewel" on the package again. HOLY SMOKES, these things are AWESOME!

+1
Nothing wrong with a Timney except that they are thicker than the Remington it replaces, meaning the stock inlet has to be opened up to take the thicker trigger.

There is nothing like the Jewel and it is the easiest to install. Jet the one with the safety.

J E CUSTOM

If you're replacing an X-Mark Pro trigger, then a cheap good alternative is the older model Remington 700 triggers with the flat wide shoe, that have the grooves in them. You can pick them up cheap on here, then have your smith adjust it to be very crisp and smooth.

If you're replacing an X-Mark Pro trigger, then a cheap good alternative is the older model Remington 700 triggers with the flat wide shoe, that have the grooves in them. You can pick them up cheap on here, then have your smith adjust it to be very crisp and smooth.

that's exactly what I'm replacing. even though they say adjustable the lowest mine goes is 4.8lbs. I'd prefer 2.5-3. I didn't know you have to have your stock altered to put in a timney trigger...I'd rather not have to do that. actually. ..I don't even feel skilled enough to do that...it would have to be a gunsmith. I'd like to be around the 250dollar mark including gunsmithing if I would need it. I thought these trigger kits were simple drop in replacements :/

The ones I did were a Sendero and a VS. Neither of them needed stock work. Those are the only ones I have done, not sure about other stocks.

I had to file a slight relief in my Boyd's laminate stock just on the inside infront of the trigger, it's not a big chore and not visible at all. I really like the feel of my Timney and I would recomend getting the timney pull scale to measure the pull weight or an alternative scale. If you have the scale it is a very simple exchange. I replaced my X mark Pro with the Timney and I did a little adjusting on my X mark Pro before replacement, when I put the scale on it it was set at a surprising 2lbs. but i'd never tell anyone how or even to adjust that trigger to that weight.

I put a Timney in my Rem 700 Milspec and the trigger is superb, prefering the wider trigger shoe design of the Timney for my hunting rifles. The Mark X trigger is junk! Installation is quite easy as long as you don't drive the rear pin completely out of the receiver so that it maintains the bolt release lever and spring in position. This is explained in the instructions. To fit the wider trigger you may need to file the opening of the trigger guard to allow clearance for the wider trigger. It's no big deal and takes a couple of minutes using a 1/2" flat file. The total time to install it is less than 15 minutes. The model I ordered has an integral safety which I believe is what the difference is between the models (besides choosing stainless or blued finish). I also own Jewel triggers and have found that for the 2.5# pull weight that I like on my hunting rifles, I can feel no difference between the two except for my preference for a wider trigger as previously mentioned.

I put a Timney in my Rem 700 Milspec and the trigger is superb, prefering the wider trigger shoe design of the Timney for my hunting rifles. The Mark X trigger is junk! Installation is quite easy as long as you don't drive the rear pin completely out of the receiver so that it maintains the bolt release lever and spring in position. This is explained in the instructions. To fit the wider trigger you may need to file the opening of the trigger guard to allow clearance for the wider trigger. It's no big deal and takes a couple of minutes using a 1/2" flat file. The total time to install it is less than 15 minutes. The model I ordered has an integral safety which I believe is what the difference is between the models (besides choosing stainless or blued finish). I also own Jewel triggers and have found that for the 2.5# pull weight that I like on my hunting rifles, I can feel no difference between the two except for my preference for a wider trigger as previously mentioned.

I dont know how I feel about filing the trigger guard...it is stainless but it is kind of a powdered stainless look(I cant really explain it) I am worried that by filingit, it would be really noticeable. How much did you have to file off? For me, it is a brand new 1000 dollar rifle, so spending 230 on a jewel trigger that will fit directly versus 130 for a timney that may need to be filed...I might simply buy the jewel trigger. Unfortunately...the jewel triggers I found were on ebay...is their another name they are under or something?

You might have to fit the trigger to the stock. I just did two i did not fit they just fell in. Timney makes a great trigger and they are very easy to install but a b:tch to adjust. Timney is a refined version of Remington's trigger, jewel is a completely diff design and in my opinion superior.

Jewel makes the finest trigger ive ever touched, and is easy to adjust.
I just put a jewel trigger on a stock inletted for a 700 and i had to clearance the safety, but like grey fox said its really easy, and if you mess up its not a big deal and no one will see.

You might have to fit the trigger to the stock. I just did two i did not fit they just fell in. Timney makes a great trigger and they are very easy to install but a b:tch to adjust. Timney is a refined version of Remington's trigger, jewel is a completely diff design and in my opinion superior.

I just put a jewel trigger on a stock inletted for a 700 and i had to clearance the safety, but like grey fox said its really easy, and if you mess up its not a big deal and no one will see.

It looks like the jewel trigger I would want, (bolt release and safety) is not currently available anywhere, accept on ebay which someone is asking 275 for(too much for me). Looks like I will either be buying th timney or just putting up with the current trigger :/

The last Jewell Trigger I got I ordered from Jewell direct but expect 6-8 week before they get to your order as they are not a big company
Jewell Triggers Inc

forums

3620 N State Highway 123

San Marcos, TX 78666-9786

Phone: (512) 353-2999

I'm not understanding what you find hard to adjust? It's one Allen screw with a locknut on it. To the OP I'm sure the Jewel is one heck of a trigger and should be based on the price, but don't be scared into it as these triggers are simple to install. And if you need to file the inlet a little that should not be a hard task. And to be honest if you don't get a pull gauge and plan on adjusting the weight down a little, you might as well take it a smith in the first place, whether you get a jewel, timney, rifle basixs, or whatever. Safety first!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.