Timney trigger - backed OA adjustment out too far

aksnowfun

Gents,

I have a timney trigger and did exactly what the manual says not to do...I backed the OA screw out too far and "lost contact with the adjustment bearing." Can anyone give me some directions on how to reset, or re-engage this?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what model rifle your trigger is for, but on an old Timney that I took off an FN Mauser the over-travel adjustment screw goes into a small spring that sits in the trigger body and the screw passed through the spring and the end goes into a detent cut-out in the back of the trigger. I removed the pieces and re-installed them and can't see why you can't just put the screw back in.

Thanks, I didn't clarify. I have a Rem 700 model with Outside Adjustment (OA) and backed this screw out too far in an attempt to lighten the pull. I discovered there is a small ball that sits between the spring and the adjustment screw with the detent. The adjustment screw is at a 90 deg angle to the spring. When I backed this out the small ball fell out of place and fell into the trigger. A piece of tape was put over the hole with the spring to prevent losing this and I was taking it to the gunsmith for repair. When he took the tape off, the ball was stuck to the tape....lucky. The smith was nice enough to put this back together for me and set the trigger to a crisp 2 lb...free of charge.

By the way, I talked with Timney on this and the tech rep's opinion is that he would not have a trigger with the Outside Ajustment feature for this reason and feels it unnecessary. Although, they offer it for people who still want it.

Thanks for the reply!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.