timney in my remington 700 causing misfires?

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
i put a new timney in my remington 700 pss 308. love the trigger but i've had about 6 misfires since, and i never had any with my old stock trigger (which i think was adjustable as well)

the primer hole looks kind of shallow .

could this have been the cause, something with that striker plate in the timney?

was going to get the speedlock spring and lightweight firing pin from brownell's

any other suggestions? could it be the trigger, just seems like it only started after i put it in.

thanks for any advice

Check the bolt, When the bolt is closed on the chamber does the same amount of the firing pin protrude out of the bolt shroud, When the rifle is in the fire position and in the fired position. Check the sear location in comparison with the pin holes in the old and new triggers. Is the firing pen held as far back with the new trigger as it did with the old one. I would take the bolt apart and clean the firing pin hole very carefully, there may be a piece of something loose in the bolt that is blocking the firing pen from extending exact out of the bolt each shot. Have you changed primer lots at the same time. There is several things that could cause this. 700 Rem. Rifles with age have problems with springs weakening. harder primers can cause problems to. Good Luck in curing the problem.

ShortGrass I agree with you on your advice. If someone has screwed the Over Travel Screw in to far and will not let the sear get out of the way once released, Will not allow the firing pen to hit the primer with enough impact for constant uniform primer flame.

right, i also think that is what has happened, or as shortgrass also mentioned to me, when i put in the pin, it may have tweaked the body of the trigger. i am going to try to work on it this week.

just fyi, i have not touched the overtravel screw

many thanks to everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.