Timing bolt handle?

I have a new Defiance action that has a couple of Mfg flaws in the receiver. I have given up on finding anyone local to weld them up. i am probably going to end up silver brazing it myself.

I do production work on it, and some mold/die repair. Might try to find more work for it soon, but considering I'm in the middle of trying to purchase a cnc machine shop, the laser welding might take the back burner.

Im surprised other companies don't laser weld there bolts, it looks so much cleaner and consistent and doesn't put heat into the part like TIG.
What kind of machine are you running. I never looked at laser welders before I saw your post, seems like the sky is the limit on price, but I know nothing about them, nor have I ever met somebody with any experience with one. Edumacate us please

went out in the shop and made a jig from 3/4 square stock with a 2.5" round section. 1.5" of the round section is threaded to fit the back of the bolt and the other 1" is turned enough to fit further into the bolt. Hopefully this will act as a heat sink. Just need to weld my L piece on and thread it for a set screw to hold the handle in place. Thanks for the jig idea Alex. Looks like yours but much sexier :)

Here's pics of the "Sexier, but less functional than Alex's handle holder"
75575A35-88E6-4C6B-AD2E-30416D7CE988.jpeg
891F4D23-C821-40ED-B344-89C88E110ADC.jpeg

Just need to weld it up tomorrow. Tossed the 3/4 square stock idea for a sliding design.

I just picked up a little DC Tig welder to do this type of work. Mostly for other projects. Spent a hour on it this weekend and like it better than my mig. Takes a bit to get use to but I picked it up quick. Good looking welds, less filler and a bit less heat for small things. I mostly do sheet metal welding.

I just picked up a little DC Tig welder to do this type of work. Mostly for other projects. Spent a hour on it this weekend and like it better than my mig. Takes a bit to get use to but I picked it up quick. Good looking welds, less filler and a bit less heat for small things. I mostly do sheet metal welding.

what machine did you get? I've been looking at the 160 ever last machine

I do not want to hijack the thread, so anyone who would like to know more about laser welding, you can pm me and I will do my best to inform you!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.