Time to find a load for the 6.5 PRC

Here's my Chrono Data for H1000 - 55.5gr, GM210M, Berger 156 EOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-143448_Digital Link[88].jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-143448_Digital Link[88].jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 163
So with rifle season quickly approaching its time to find a good hunting load for the 6.5 PRC starting with 55 grs of RL26 150 LRAB bullets federal 215 primers if any has used this combination please any helpful information you could throw my way would greatly appreciated
IMHO - So to answer your initial question, 3 keys - Seating Depth, Neck Tension and Consistent Powder. Seating depth - find the window, there should be about a 6 thousandths window that groups. Seat to the long end. Neck Tension - make sure your are lubing bullets and your tension is consistent, size properly. Powder- Run it through different loads and get your spread down below 20. My guess is you're using magnum primers because that's all you could get. I've done that, just faster burning and a bit more pressure, just factor that in. I've never used those Noslers but if you get them out there at 28-2900fps you should be able to drop an elk or deer with a good placed shot out quite a ways. That's my take, I may be wrong...

Also in my 30 years of rifle shooting, usually the heaviest bullet and medium or slower speed is the most accurate round. I've never seen a rifle that shoots the most accurate at max or over max speed\powder. That might be just my luck but I've shot a lot of rifles. Thinking about your options, are you getting those 150s over 3k FPS? Chono'd them? Oh and what is your twist?

I shoot H1000 the most. I did try 4831SC and it was faster with less but recoil increased quite a bit, plus was dirtier. 4831 did shoot pretty good though.

Last edited:
Ok, are you both using saami chamber or have y'all went to specialized reamers?
Reason asking is the use of the 156 being long for case. I'm also following along on the 6.5 prc conversation
My son is wanting a new rifle and this round has peaked his interest. Not that I don't have several for him to use.

Another vote for 210M
I tested 5 different primers, the 215Ms were slightly too hot, the 210Ms we not. My particular rifle wanted the 210Ms, E.S. was very low. Im not a fan of the Nosler 150 ABLR in the 6.5 PRC. It is my opinion the outer copper jacket on that bullet is too thin and can break down in flight IF the velocity is around 3000fps. Nosler's factory 6.5PRC ammo with that bullet runs around 2750 at the barrel, even though the factory ammo box from Nosler states 2950. I tested the heck out of them and had very lengthy talks with Noslers ballistic technician. The bullet was designed for long range expansion, so might not max out the velocity. This is just my opinion based on my experience, for what its worth.
My rifle liked
ADG brass, 59 grains N565, Berger 156, 210M, in a 20'' SAAMI barrel. 1/4 min@100yrds all day long.
Just curious what type of accuracy results you had in the 500-1000 region with the 150 ABLR. I found the 142, that shot 0.6 MOA close, to get whacky around 600 yards.

Sounds like a viable load. I 2nd the use of LG. rifle primers; Fed Gold Medal Match or CCi BR2. I'm shooting 135gr Berger Classic Hunters over 57.6grs of H1000 using Hornady brass. Avg. 3050fps and 1/2 MOA at 200yds. I would love to try RL26 with the 124gr Hammer Hunter, but RL26 is extinct in central Alabama.

Just curious what type of accuracy results you had in the 500-1000 region with the 150 ABLR. I found the 142, that shot 0.6 MOA close, to get whacky around 600 yards.
My experience with my 6.5 PRC rifle and that bullet was so bad at 100 yards I never even considered testing any further. I tested several different bullets and found the 156 was by far the best for my rifle and what I wanted to use it for. Personally, The only rifle that shot Nosler LR AB bullet is my 270, other than that I have had horrible luck with the LRAB line. With that being said, The Accubond (non LR) is my go to with most my magnums. I have made a tremendous amount of one shot kills with that bullet. As for the 142, the 6.5 PRC deserves a heaver bullet, in my opinion. The 142 is a good fit for the 6.5 creedmoore, just my opinion.
I want to make a suggestion, if you go with a different (other than AB) hollow point bullet, the kind that has the hole drilled in the center of the bullet with no plastic insert. Be sure to buy a good die set WITH the high B.C. bullet seating cone. I use Redding comp and love them. The reason I bring this up is the factory cone (esp RCBS) can and will crush the hollow point to where it wont expand on impact. This was a very tough lesson for a friend/ reloader. The bullets were essentially a full metal jacket. Lets just say there was way too many animals with good hits but never recovered. Tough lesson and dont want anyone to experience the same hell.
My comments are based off my experience and opinions, you might have great success with those bullets. Best of luck

Last edited:
My experience with my 6.5 PRC rifle and that bullet was so bad at 100 yards I never even considered testing any further. I tested several different bullets and found the 156 was by far the best for my rifle and what I wanted to use it for. Personally, The only rifle that shot Nosler LR AB bullet is my 270, other than that I have had horrible luck with the LRAB line. With that being said, The Accubond (non LR) is my go to with most my magnums. I have made a tremendous amount of one shot kills with that bullet. As for the 142, the 6.5 PRC deserves a heaver bullet, in my opinion. The 142 is a good fit for the 6.5 creedmoore, just my opinion.
I want to make a suggestion, if you go with a different (other than AB) hollow point bullet, the kind that has the hole drilled in the center of the bullet with no plastic insert. Be sure to buy a good die set WITH the high B.C. bullet seating cone. I use Redding comp and love them. The reason I bring this up is the factory cone (esp RCBS) can and will crush the hollow point to where it wont expand on impact. This was a very tough lesson for a friend/ reloader/outfitter. The bullets were essentially a full metal jacket. Lest just say there was way too many animals with good hits but never recovered. Tough lesson and dont want anyone to experience the same hell.
My comments are based off my experience and opinions, you might have great success with those bullets. Best of luck
Yeah, that's what I would expect from the ABLRs. Like you I've tried them in 2 rifles the 175 in a 7mm LRM and the 142 in my current 6.5 PRC. They just did not hold up in accuracy. I've been shooting the 156 EOL since it came out 4 years ago. It's killed a pile big game and seems to regular clock in about a 1/2 MOA group at all the ranges I've tested it at. I have used the regular 180 AB in the past with great results in my old 300 WSM years ago. But even in that rifle the 190 VLD was so lights out accurate I always went back to it.

I want to make a suggestion, if you go with a different (other than AB) hollow point bullet, the kind that has the hole drilled in the center of the bullet with no plastic insert. Be sure to buy a good die set WITH the high B.C. bullet seating cone. I use Redding comp and love them. The reason I bring this up is the factory cone (esp RCBS) can and will crush the hollow point to where it wont expand on impact. This was a very tough lesson for a friend/ reloader/outfitter. The bullets were essentially a full metal jacket. Lest just say there was way too many animals with good hits but never recovered. Tough lesson and dont want anyone to experience the same hell.
I agree with everything you said. The 156 opened this cartridge up. And with the hollow points, if I'm loading for hunting I always check to make sure the points haven't been folded or blunted. I assume that would stop the expansion, I've heard war stories, never experienced it but it makes sense. I use an K&M arbor press with LE Wilson die without issue. I also use Forster Ultra-Micrometer but have really liked seating the the arbor at the range on the bench. I did try the 153.5 and saw very little to no speed change, accuracy was the same, POI changed by 4" high. Overall not enough to make a change from the 156s. I was kind of baffled why Berger created them.

Reason asking is the use of the 156 being long for case. I'm also following along on the 6.5 prc conversation
My son is wanting a new rifle and this round has peaked his interest. Not that I don't have several for him to use.
Yeah having the short action I am careful of compression. My buddy's Spartan Arms is long action so he can get longer OAL. I ended up with the 6.5 because I'm getting older and don't like the recoil from magnums I shot for all those younger years. When Berger released the 156, that was a game changer. This cartridge jumped into long range with that BC. Long range for me is 1000+. So my theory, which has been correct, get that 156 doing close to 3k FPS at muzzle and you have a 1000 yard elk killer, with 14lbs of recoil. And also with the 156s you can compete, like PRS, out to 1900+. That's the bonus package. It's been a fun cartridge to develop. Went to the 156s and never looked back.

Advice to your son - 3 things in life you can't have too much of and never sell - Guns, Guitars and Tools!

Get him a rifle dad... 😃

So with rifle season quickly approaching its time to find a good hunting load for the 6.5 PRC starting with 55 grs of RL26 150 LRAB bullets federal 215 primers if any has used this combination please any helpful information you could throw my way would greatly appreciated
Tikka T3X on a 24" barrel using N565 with 147 gr ELD-M with 59.5 grains of powder, standard large rifle primers are perfectly fine doing a tad under 3,000 fps

Yeah having the short action I am careful of compression. My buddy's Spartan Arms is long action so he can get longer OAL. I ended up with the 6.5 because I'm getting older and don't like the recoil from magnums I shot for all those younger years. When Berger released the 156, that was a game changer. This cartridge jumped into long range with that BC. Long range for me is 1000+. So my theory, which has been correct, get that 156 doing close to 3k FPS at muzzle and you have a 1000 yard elk killer, with 14lbs of recoil. And also with the 156s you can compete, like PRS, out to 1900+. That's the bonus package. It's been a fun cartridge to develop. Went to the 156s and never looked back.

Advice to your son - 3 things in life you can't have too much of and never sell - Guns, Guitars and Tools!

Get him a rifle dad... 😃
Will start speaking with action makers and compatible barrel makers. Cut 5r is what many seem to be going with? I have had good luck with Krieger. Thanks for all that open their minds and to those like the OP that ask the questions. My son has an assortment of guitars now to completely ruin him with an addiction for fine rifles. Yes, my Dad always lend out your girlfriend before you ever lend out your tools, they never come back.

I have been doing some development with rl26 and and 150 ablr I use standard lr fed primer and lapua brass. I kind of cheated in my initial development out of a savage ultralite proof 24" barrel, I started with a load I had for my previous prc, which was 56.5 gr it shot 2970 avg velocity. The mag was a little a little longer on the ultralite so I have been playing with seating depth. I haven't found a real hammer of a load in this gun with the 150ablr's yet but so far 2.960 col has shot the best at about .6". I do have the 143 eldx shooting groups in the .4 range at near max mag length. I will probably stretch out the ablrs a few more thousands and see if they tighten up.
Like to know what you find out, my Bergara 24" Barrel PRC shoots the out of the box, 143 ELD-X at .20 group's & they are set off my lands, at -.60, - .65 Can't believe the distance off the lands, Working on loads for it now, any help sure would be great. Want to use RL 26, but did load some H 4350 in my 6.5 C and got 2 groups at .40, Oh, the Creedmoor was with 140 Berger match. Do have a good supply of 143 eld-x seeds that I going to load up next,,then work on the depth setting.

Will start speaking with action makers and compatible barrel makers. Cut 5r is what many seem to be going with? I have had good luck with Krieger. Thanks for all that open their minds and to those like the OP that ask the questions. My son has an assortment of guitars now to completely ruin him with an addiction for fine rifles. Yes, my Dad always lend out your girlfriend before you ever lend out your tools, they never come back.
This rifle I'm shooting is a Browning, off the shelf still can hold a group and is much cheaper. Go old school... None of this fancy new $10K stuff. I have this Long Range Max and it's a good rifle, has all the bells and whistles in the stock and 1-7 twist. Browning can still make a rifle. It's hard for me to build a custom rifle since we've been driving tacks with off the shelf since we were kids. It takes work but they will do it. This Browning already had a floated barrel, as I said earlier the trigger is the only downside, it's not horrible but I have a lot better. Spartan Arms here in WY makes a great rifle, I know the owner and his family. Great gunsmith, those boys know how to shoot. Good luck finding parts, welcome to 2022 eh...