Time to cut some weight.

I just got out of 20 days of COVID HELL. I spent a few days working and got ONE DAY to hunt. ND season ended yesterday. I don't know if it was because I was still weak from being sick or maybe just the fact that I am old and out of shape, but during a couple hour walk and stalk both of my shoulders were killing me from slinging my gun. Rem Sendero, 30 inch tube plus break, NF scope, bipod, sling,......14.2 lbs. Thinking I am going to put together a lightweight carry gun. I still want to maintain a little bit of LR ability.

I am thinking 700sa with some sort of McMillan or Manners light weight stock and 20-22 inch pencil thin tube and a MUCH lighter scope than my current NF. Thinking either 7mm08 (maybe AI) , 284, or maybe a 6.5 creed. Would like to keep at least 600-700 yard deer capability.

Questions.....how much weight would I save if I had the action "skeltenized"? Any Stock recommendations? Lots of you guys must have built the same kind of rifle....any idea on what this would weigh.

Go.....
I million ways to skin this cat! The way I did it was build a rifle around the Fuzion Ti short action. 23 oz. and decided I like the 156 EOL so selected the magnum bolt to run a 6.5 SS chamber. I also prefer to use the Silencer Co omega 300 which is 6.5" in length and weighs 14 oz new but add a couple for carbon cuz I shout a lot. So I ordered a 20" proof CF barrel that weighed 2.5 lbs before chambering. Went with the Ibex CF stock and Hawkins precision hunter DBM which fits a M5 inlet perfectly. Bedded it added a 4" area 419 ARCA for the Ckye Pod. The one piece of the system I would not compromise is the ZCO 420. It's the best optic on the market and heavy so the rifle system needed to be light. The bare rifle weighs in at 5.75 lbs. add the ZCO in ARC rings, Omega suppressor and Ckye pod (all heavy but essential) we have a rifle system weighing 11 lbs.
A leupold Mark 5 HD in 3-17 would take it to 10.5 but I love the ZCO. Oh and it shoots well.
BE165FEE-2DA1-4E52-B6F9-41194685F91A.jpeg

I had the same experience as the OP. Sold the 14 pounder and have another long range rifle being built that should come in around 10 lbs scoped. My everyday elk rifle is a NULA in .284 shooting 160 grain Accubonds. It will frequently put the first two shots in the same hole at 100 yards. It's a half minute 2-shot gun to 500 yds, the furthest I've shot it so far. The third shot with no cooling usually throws to the right about 3/4 moa. So far 3 elk and two deer have fallen to it in the past two years. Furthest being a 380 yard elk. They didn't know the gun was too small to kill them.

Once upon a time, when I was much younger and running marathons in +/- 3 hours, I was hunting with a rifle that weighed-in @ around 11 1/2 to 12 pounds all up! Add to this a day pack capable of sustaining semi-comfortable life for a few days, camera, binoculars, ect., then spending all day covering fairly steep terrain up to around 9500 feet.... I was rather tired. Upon doing this numerous days in succession, I determined that trimming weight (not mine) was a desirable option. Several years later, I had my lighter rifle. While still 9 pounds 1or 2 ounces all-up, it was much more forgiving on long, physical hunts than was my previous rifle. Now, 30 years later, that same rifle is seemingly heavier than it was 30 years ago.....I guess my salvation is, I don't hunt as hard as I used to.

If you're a pretty competitive triathlon athlete, or on a relatively easy one day hunt, riding in/on a vehicle, on horseback, or on a guided hunt with someone younger and tougher carrying part of your gear.....rifle weight my be inconsequential! For most mortals responsible for themselves, rifle weight weighs heavily (pun intended) into the equation! JMO. memtb

Age, and the right tool for the time. I am going 270, but, a 243 will do well on most mule deer around here in Oregon. The 6.5 PRC is good to look at if you are going new setup.
You know what to do....you only live once, so, get a solid light weight, (i would stick with m700), 6 to 7mm rifle and splurge on the glass.
Used stuff will be available and maybe affordable as we, the U.S., recover from covid. Be patient and practice and stay limber.
Rock on and throw some rocks.

I'll triple the Tikka T3X Superlite. In 6.5 CM & left-handed mine was just under 5.75 lbs out of the box for about $700. 16 oz for the Vortex Razor HD LH and 4 oz for Warne aluminum rings. I've not personally shot it to 600 yards but I keep it Sub-MOA out beyond 300 yards with Hornady Superformance SSTs. Only thing I did was drop a lighter trigger spring that I heard about in another thread. Hard to beat that set-up all in for less than $1350.

4xforfun, The suggestion that a mere 14 pound rifle is too heavy.....by many, will be considered pure heresy and you shall be excommunicated from the cult! 😉

Oh....very happy to hear that you recovered from the "China Virus"! memtb
Whatever about the weight but I'd be right aggravated lugging a rig with a 30 inch pipe not including the brake. My 300 win mag setup is over 12 pounds with a 26 inch tube, and I don't mind the weight at all but at times think it'd be just fine with me at 24" haha

I just got out of 20 days of COVID HELL. I spent a few days working and got ONE DAY to hunt. ND season ended yesterday. I don't know if it was because I was still weak from being sick or maybe just the fact that I am old and out of shape, but during a couple hour walk and stalk both of my shoulders were killing me from slinging my gun. Rem Sendero, 30 inch tube plus break, NF scope, bipod, sling,......14.2 lbs. Thinking I am going to put together a lightweight carry gun. I still want to maintain a little bit of LR ability.

I am thinking 700sa with some sort of McMillan or Manners light weight stock and 20-22 inch pencil thin tube and a MUCH lighter scope than my current NF. Thinking either 7mm08 (maybe AI) , 284, or maybe a 6.5 creed. Would like to keep at least 600-700 yard deer capability.

Questions.....how much weight would I save if I had the action "skeltenized"? Any Stock recommendations? Lots of you guys must have built the same kind of rifle....any idea on what this would weigh.

Go.....

Like you, I went through covid-19 hell. Mine started the third week of March. For 5 weeks it felt like someone was standing on my chest as I tried to breath. I went from being quite athletic (for 63 years old) to someone who had to rest during a short walk with my dog. Eventually my lungs cleared but I had no endurance at all for MONTHS. My EKGs showed "abnormal T-waves". Doctors did lung scans (clear), cathed my coronary arteries and found them completely clear, but still I dragged ***. Then at the end of September, all of a sudden, I could FINALLY handle light exercise. I can now see the road to recovery. I expect that by next March, I should be able to do almost everything I could before COVID-19.

They call those of us with residual effects from covid-19 "long-haulers". Since it's a new disease no one knows how long the long in "long-haul" will be. It looks like most of my symptoms will be gone within a year — but that's A FULL YEAR LOST to this disease!

You just went through 20-days of covid and are already looking at getting back in the field. Based on that, everything I've learned about covid, and my personal experience, I suspect you will be 100% by well before next season. As such, an ultra-light rifle may not be NEEDED.

That said, I still like the idea of Weatherby's Mark-V Backcountry in Weatherby's 6.5MM RPM. It's 5.4 pounds, has a Trigger-Tech trigger, and is guaranteed to shoot. (Every Mark-V I've had my hands on shot much better than their guarantee.) Sometimes we get what we want by convincing ourselves we "need" it. If you think you need an ultralight rifle — GO FOR IT!

My daughter has been shooting a 6.5SLR for about 7 years. The original build was a tank @ 15.5lbs to get her a heavy, stable gun to practice with. Well, she shot it so well and had such confidence in it, the rifle became her main hunting rifle. Deer kills at 532 and 637.
R700 SA trued w. Alloy tac knob
28" 1:8" Bartlein Sendero w. Badger Thruster brake
Manners T2A
R700 SA alloy BDL
Timney Calvin Elite
Seekins 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 34mm low rings
Kahles K624i

When we burned the barrel out at about 2500 rounds, I totally rebuilt it to shave some weight, since I end up carrying it for her usually. It is not a true ultralight, but lost 5 full pounds with the rebuild, down to 10lbs 8oz scoped and suppressed.
R700 SA (same action) w. Alloy bolt shroud and carbon fiber knob
22" 1:8" Proof Sendero Light w. TBAC CB brake and TBAC Ultra 7 6.5mm suppressor
Manners PRS2 (could shave another 1lb+ with an EH1)
R700 alloy BDL
Timney Calvin Elite
Seekins 34mm low rings
S&B PMII 3-20×50 Ultra Short (could go lighter with a scope change like a TT315M, but I like very high end glass)
The new set up has killed 2 pronghorn @ 250ish & 391, and a huge mule deer buck at 454 so far. Plus a squirrel at 741.

I'm calling BS on the lightweight rifles don't shoot accurately. If that is the case, then why does my Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti in .243 shoot 1/4 moa? The heavier guns just dampen the shooters inability to hold the gun steady. Practice, Practice, Practice. I just picked up a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308, bare gun is 4# 15 oz. with the factory muzzle brake, 4#, 13 oz. with the thread protector on it. Working on breaking in the barrel. You can order an adapter to allow a can to be threaded on for around $50.

I had Kirby Allen build a 7mm Allen Magnum and the parameter was that I wanted it to be 10# or less bare gun. If I do my part it's a 1/4 moa shooter, and about everyone I let try it at the range shoots 1/2 moa with it. I pack it around in an Eberlestock backpack and while it seems heavy when I pick it up, once it's on my shoulders the weight doesn't seem to be there. 195g 7mm Berger EOL's @ 3225 fps will reach out there. I've used it with the Berger 180g VLD's on elk and a cold clean bore shot at 867 yds that killed the coyote that was feeding on a dead steer.

Good to hear you got the bug beat and you get back to 100%. Hopefully the build comes together smoothly take your time and tons of research. Myself I kinda like the Tikkas

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.