Time to cut some weight.

I know your not supposed to but....me kids and have been killing all our elk savage axis2 creedmoor. 1 shot kills. I use this big stuff on certain hunts but not regularly.

I bought that rifle for the kids so my muzzle brake don't blow my drums out when they see one. I noticed how light and handy it was and haven't put it down much since. I was skeptical at first but the 143 eldx has been good to us(all in the vitals).

My son barely clipped the lung on his cow last week and she still died after 350 yards. I had a fever (why I stayed home from work) so I here ya on feeling like crap hunting. I wish I had helium in my boots.

Also....look into the kifaru gun bearer in stead of the sling. Best invention since the fish hook....imo

Attachments

• 20201110_153000.jpg
    20201110_153000.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
I went ADL style bottom metal, save every ounce you can if you want to build light. Building light is not cheap...for what it cost to skeleton "ize" you can probably by a defiance AnTi action...lots of good light weight stock options out there to from Manners, AG and others, ADL usually save a few oz, scope...Swarovski Z5 with a BT...will get you to 400-550 yards in most calibers...but it is 16 oz

Attachments

• 60616262604__FCE4169F-1163-4622-BA15-9819DA9C3895.JPG
    60616262604__FCE4169F-1163-4622-BA15-9819DA9C3895.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 147
Bass Pro/Cabelas don't always know what they are talking about. My Savage 260 is 1 in 8", Savage might have made a 1 in 10" .264 barrel at some time, but probably not recently and the vast majority are 1 in 8"

First, glad you made it through the Covid Virus and are able to start hunting again.

It is easy to shave some weight buy going to a short action and a light weight composite stock.
Cartridge choice is based on what you want to hunt with it. If whitetails, the 7/08 would be prefect. If larger and tougher than whitetails, something like a short mag (7 or 300 WSM would be recommended. If Elk or larger The cartridge could still be a short mag but in a larger caliber Like the 338 RCM.

All of the cartridges mentioned plus more, can be built in a short action and weight can be less than 7 pounds without any modifications to the action or barrel. The downside to lightweight rifles are recoil so you might consider a Muzzle brake.

Good Hunting

J E CUSTOM

I just got out of 20 days of COVID HELL. I spent a few days working and got ONE DAY to hunt. ND season ended yesterday. I don't know if it was because I was still weak from being sick or maybe just the fact that I am old and out of shape, but during a couple hour walk and stalk both of my shoulders were killing me from slinging my gun. Rem Sendero, 30 inch tube plus break, NF scope, bipod, sling,......14.2 lbs. Thinking I am going to put together a lightweight carry gun. I still want to maintain a little bit of LR ability.

I am thinking 700sa with some sort of McMillan or Manners light weight stock and 20-22 inch pencil thin tube and a MUCH lighter scope than my current NF. Thinking either 7mm08 (maybe AI) , 284, or maybe a 6.5 creed. Would like to keep at least 600-700 yard deer capability.

Questions.....how much weight would I save if I had the action "skeltenized"? Any Stock recommendations? Lots of you guys must have built the same kind of rifle....any idea on what this would weigh.

Go.....
No!!!!! go with a 300 saum. Super awesome gun

I just got out of 20 days of COVID HELL. I spent a few days working and got ONE DAY to hunt. ND season ended yesterday. I don't know if it was because I was still weak from being sick or maybe just the fact that I am old and out of shape, but during a couple hour walk and stalk both of my shoulders were killing me from slinging my gun. Rem Sendero, 30 inch tube plus break, NF scope, bipod, sling,......14.2 lbs. Thinking I am going to put together a lightweight carry gun. I still want to maintain a little bit of LR ability.

I am thinking 700sa with some sort of McMillan or Manners light weight stock and 20-22 inch pencil thin tube and a MUCH lighter scope than my current NF. Thinking either 7mm08 (maybe AI) , 284, or maybe a 6.5 creed. Would like to keep at least 600-700 yard deer capability.

Questions.....how much weight would I save if I had the action "skeltenized"? Any Stock recommendations? Lots of you guys must have built the same kind of rifle....any idea on what this would weigh.

Go.....
I just bought the ne 6.5 prc scope and all around 9.25 lbs it's the bergara wilderness ridge, and sorry to here about the COVID I know this site isn't about being sick but they been good about it 2020 sucks let's hope and pray 2021 is a lot better good luck friend

Glad to read you are out of the woods, figuratively, not literally.

Light is good but don't forget about physics! Some here might overlook your stated objection to recoil, but you are on the right track with the cartridges you put forth originally.

Last edited:
A little bit of the challenge will be the barrel supporting the can. I run carbon barrels for added strength and a bit shorter. I have a 22" PRC now and my new 18" barrel will be here within the week. I have light hunter that runs 8lbs with the scope and can and my primary rifle is a folding chassis that is 10 lbs ready to shoot and pictured below. I will put the 18" barrel on it and I have dominus can on order. Overall the rifle will be slightly lighter and 6" shorter in the end. I should still be pushed a 135 at 3000 and 140's in the 2900-2950 range. I'd expect 2800-2850 out of a 156 but probably won't shoot those anyway.

For Deer just about anything will work. I'd look at the 6mm's, 6.5's, and 7's in the short action cartridge options. If you hunt elk then maybe a PRC/saum/sherman or a long action like the 280AI cartridges. Lots and lots of choices but if you want to reduce weight I'd go short action.

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpg
    IMG_9815.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 89

Go.....
Nothing to do with your question but very glad that you're well! (And hopefully have an immunity)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.