Time to cut some weight.

I just got out of 20 days of COVID HELL. I spent a few days working and got ONE DAY to hunt. ND season ended yesterday. I don't know if it was because I was still weak from being sick or maybe just the fact that I am old and out of shape, but during a couple hour walk and stalk both of my shoulders were killing me from slinging my gun. Rem Sendero, 30 inch tube plus break, NF scope, bipod, sling,......14.2 lbs. Thinking I am going to put together a lightweight carry gun. I still want to maintain a little bit of LR ability.

I am thinking 700sa with some sort of McMillan or Manners light weight stock and 20-22 inch pencil thin tube and a MUCH lighter scope than my current NF. Thinking either 7mm08 (maybe AI) , 284, or maybe a 6.5 creed. Would like to keep at least 600-700 yard deer capability.

Questions.....how much weight would I save if I had the action "skeltenized"? Any Stock recommendations? Lots of you guys must have built the same kind of rifle....any idea on what this would weigh.

Go.....
Same here...went light with 300wm and 338 wm...no regrets Leupold 4.5x15x50x30 on both. Standard taper barrels...accurate

I'll second the T3 lite. If you want to build your own you can get just what you want, but if you want to save some bucks Tikka has a pretty good selection of lightweight rifles. For that matter so does Savage for less money, I just like the Tikkas better.
And...tikka IS accurate

Why go through the hassle of building one, Kimber Mountain Ascent in anything from a 6.5 Creedmoor to a .300 Win Mag. My .308 with a 22 inch barrel and a Viper HST scope weighs less than 7 lbs. and shoots sub MOA groups consistently with commercial ammo, even tighter groups with tuned hand loads.
Exactly... I've had the same rifle w/ a 3x12 Huskemwa since they first came out... shoots that distance accurately all day long.

I just got out of 20 days of COVID HELL. I spent a few days working and got ONE DAY to hunt. ND season ended yesterday. I don't know if it was because I was still weak from being sick or maybe just the fact that I am old and out of shape, but during a couple hour walk and stalk both of my shoulders were killing me from slinging my gun. Rem Sendero, 30 inch tube plus break, NF scope, bipod, sling,......14.2 lbs. Thinking I am going to put together a lightweight carry gun. I still want to maintain a little bit of LR ability.

I am thinking 700sa with some sort of McMillan or Manners light weight stock and 20-22 inch pencil thin tube and a MUCH lighter scope than my current NF. Thinking either 7mm08 (maybe AI) , 284, or maybe a 6.5 creed. Would like to keep at least 600-700 yard deer capability.

Questions.....how much weight would I save if I had the action "skeltenized"? Any Stock recommendations? Lots of you guys must have built the same kind of rifle....any idea on what this would weigh.

Go.....
I'm building a lightweight rifle now but am going towards running a short action magnum for the bigger projectile option. Running a heavier barrel profile but cut short to 18". Will be using a Mack Brothers Mag bolt face short action and a Grayboe Phoenix stock. Planning on fluting barrel or possibly going with a Proof as they come in at just over 2lbs on the barrel on 18" or 20" barrel. Still undecided on the Caliber but leaning towards a 300WSM or similar. I don't want it too light though as to suffer with accuracy when shooting.

Project gear:

Mack Brothers Short Action Magnum boltface with 20 moa rail- 29 oz ORDERED
Phoenix Grayboe stock- 32 oz
Proof Barrel- 36 oz
Triggertech- 5 oz
Grayboe bottom metal- 3oz

6.5 lbs not scoped and plan on running a 3.5-18 mark5 which comes in around 20-22 ounces. I can cut some weight here and there but again I'm not looking for a feather weight rifle but one that's comfortable to carry. I find it harder to shoot Feather weight rifles, that's me though. I'm trying to stay under 8-8.5 lbs scoped. I've spoke to a few that are running 168-178 projectiles close to 3k FPS out of a 18" tube with the 300 short mag, 200 grain at 2850 or so. Also considering the 7mm WSM. Just gives me a great universal rifle for multiple North American big game animals.

Once I receive my action I'm going to start a detailed thread of the build progress, equipment, and build details.

Good luck on your build.

JGS

Go.....
I also have bad shoulders. I hunt with a Tikka T3x super light in 6.5 CM with a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15. It is lighter then my sons compact .243 win with a vari-x 3 2-10. I can easily carry it all day long, and my shoulders are so bad it hurts to wear waders or a backpack for more then 2 hours.

4xforfun, The suggestion that a mere 14 pound rifle is too heavy.....by many, will be considered pure heresy and you shall be excommunicated from the cult! 😉

Oh....very happy to hear that you recovered from the "China Virus"! memtb

Why go through the hassle of building one, Kimber Mountain Ascent in anything from a 6.5 Creedmoor to a .300 Win Mag. My .308 with a 22 inch barrel and a Viper HST scope weighs less than 7 lbs. and shoots sub MOA groups consistently with commercial ammo, even tighter groups with tuned hand loads.
100% agree. Similar accuracy <moa w/Hornady Precision Hunter from Kimber M/A 300wm, S-B Klassik 3-12x42 and Harvester 300 suppressor. Fully loaded - 8# 1oz.

Last edited:

Go.....
May you enjoy continued good health.

Go.....
LIght weithg gun = LESS ACCURATE at any distance. get ready to waste a lot of AMMO

I like my setup of Kimber Montana for mountain hunting and am building a Proof/XLR magnesium LR setup that should run sub 9.5 lbs with can.

I have a partially skeletonized rem 700SA and I think its either 24 or 26 oz. The bolt hasn't been fluted so it could be another oz or so lighter. It also has parts swapped for aluminum ones. Cost wise, it may be better to go with a Defiance AnTi. There was a recent forum discussion (in the gunsmithing section, I think) on those pros and cons.

The biggest weight savings from the OP's setup would be barrel and stock. Ultralight stocks are $$$. The cost curve on stocks starts to flatten out once the weight gets over 22 oz. Frankly, almost any gun is going to be substantially lighter than 14 lbs.

After building my own 5.5 lb full length rifle, if I were to try and save money, I would get a Tikka T3 or a Kimber hunter on sale. If they weren't in the caliber of my choice, I'd replace the barrel. It still might be cheaper than doing a custom off a rem 700. It depends on how far up the weight:cost curve you want to go. Anymore, when I hear about someone wanting to go "light", I'm thinking they should be in the <6.5 lb range (bare gun weight).

That is a heck of a load to pack. I know my 11.5# sendero used to seem a lot lighter when I was a lot lighter. My sendero is going to drop some weight. Going to start with a proof sendero light and some ultralight rings and base and see where I get to. Not really sure how much to expect to lose with the barrel but it needs a new one anyways. I hope to be under 10 lbs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.