time to change

28 nosler does it like retumbo ? sold my edge
I've never been able to get consistent loads of Retumbo in ANY of the cartridges I've tried it in... My buddy's .300WM liked it, so I know it's not something wrong my loadings, just my barrels don't like it.

I would say that any cartridge has the potential to like or dislike any powder, I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker though. If it doesn't like Retumbo, I would give it a try with IMR 7977, H1000, and IMR 8133.

Brass is $70 for 25 pieces, so it is expensive. I have 75 pieces of brass and its plenty. I use it strictly to hunt. I have heard the best powder is RL33 for velocity and I have some to try. I havent yet because the accuracy is so good.

I've never been able to get consistent loads of Retumbo in ANY of the cartridges I've tried it in... My buddy's .300WM liked it, so I know it's not something wrong my loadings, just my barrels don't like it.

I would say that any cartridge has the potential to like or dislike any powder, I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker though. If it doesn't like Retumbo, I would give it a try with IMR 7977, H1000, and IMR 8133.
good call mud i'll look into it got time! anyone ever run 300 norma

Agreed! I have every powder you listed above to try, but I started with Retumbo and couldn't see a reason to change. sound advice Mudrunner

the best ? is brass hard to find? and how much
Nope! Just about anywhere sells it. Whether it is in stock or not are 2 different things. Most brass manufacturers make cases in "runs". And if the supply runs out, just wait a couple months and more will be available. That being said, if you have a hard-to-find cartridge, like the Noslers or the 7mm STW, it's best to buy as much brass of the same lot # as you can afford to. I try to buy at least 250 brass per magnum rifle cartridge that I own. I try to only have 1 rifle chambered for a particular round at a time. If I like the round, I'll rebarrel that rifle to the same thing again, that way I still only have that ONE rifle in that particular cartridge. The reason for this, is so that brass won't ever get mixed up. If I only have one .308 Win, than I know that all the .308 Win brass that I have fits that one rifle, and I don't have to worry about sorting it and storing it for later on. And if I only have one 7mm RemMag at a time, then I know that all my 7mm RemMag brass will fit that one rifle, so no need to sort, FL resize, then store it for later in a separate container. I just find this to be an easier system for me to keep up with what brass fits which rifle. No 2 chambers are the same, so if you get your brass mixed up between your 2 rifles chambered for the same cartridge, then **** goes south really quickly. Best to just do like The Offspring said, and you just "gotta keep 'em separated". ;)

Midway has it in stock right now...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016244976/nosler-custom-reloading-brass-28-nosler-box-of-25

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.