Time for new spotting scope.

I am in the market for a new spotter. Looking at 65 obj range. Swaro are not out of the question. Give me your comparisons or preferences and why. I have been researching swaro, and kowa. This will be mainly to throw in a pack. I do want to upgrade my 80mm obj in the future as well. As always thank you guys in advance for the help.

The big advantage with the ATX and STX over the ATS or STS is you can swap out the objective modules. You could start with a 65mm and add larger sizes later. When I bought my ATX 65mm I was looking for a spotter that would pack down small for my day pack. The whole scope fits in the largest Swarovski binocular case.

20191025_171357.jpg20191025_171519.jpg

Do you have the ATS or ATX
No I don't but I have a couple of friends that do and I have always been amazed on how clear and crisp they are. I just bought the Gunwerks revic because I want the MOA reticle which is very hard to find because most long range shooters and match shooters use Mils. I think kiwikid answered your question.

I had the opportunity to use a Swaro, Vortex Razor HD, Sig, Maven and two Kowas over a multi-day long-range hunting course and this is my ranking based on a subjective mix of clarity, brightness, and general "how did I like staring through it for hours each day" factor:

1. Kowa TSN-883 (and the tiny 553)
2. Swaro ATS-80 (Kowa 883 edged it out on brightness -- otherwise both were identical)
3. Maven S1
4. Sig Oscar 8
5. Razor HD 85mm

All were good to easily assess impacts at 1k yards, but there was a healthy step up from the Razor-Sig-Maven group to the Swaro and Kowas.

After the course ended, I was so impressed with the Kowa that I ended up ordering the 553 and have continued to be extremely impressed, especially considering its microscopic size. It obviously will never gather as much light as the larger objective options, but if you can get away with it, then I would strongly consider it. I know these aren't 65mm, but hopefully this can aid your search.

Kowa and if you're carrying it in your pack I would definitely take a hard look at the 553 it is amazing and you don't even know it is in there.

Last edited:

Recent Posts