time for new scope, need your advice

cstryker02

First off i want to say hello , just joined site. I have a model 70 7mm WSM and i am having a huge problem with the scope im using now. The recoil is hard so it is a %@#$ to keep it sited in. Im using a BSA right now so i know that is one of my problems. But im looking for a scope that can withstand the recoil so i dont have to worry about resiting it all the time. The shots i take are not very far prolly max of 600 yds, and i would be using it for deer hunting. Im looking at a price range of probably around $250-$300. any advice would be great.

[ 11-08-2004: Message edited by: cstryker02 ]

I have two suggestions - save up a little more money and buy a better scope than what you are budgeting for - look at Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell 4200's and mid-priced Leupolds. You will not regret purchasing a better quality scope, it will last forever and will give you much better service.

Second - DO NOT BUY A SCOPE FROM DAVE KING
wink.gif

- he is manufacturing some pretty exotic stuff but it is not for the average inhabitant of this planet
smile.gif

Ian, you mentioned the 4200's, I would also mention the 3200's in a 5-15, it is a little less expensive than the 4200's and I have had great luck with mine on a 7 mag. I would have to agree with the comment on saving up and buying good optics, your gun is only as good as the scope.

take a look at the burris fullfield 2 its a great mid class scope i have 2 they work great the bplx is great when you take the time to practice with it

cstryker02:

Did you happen to go on a hunt down in Reagan County a couple of weeks ago?

You sound just like a guy I hunted with.

I love Leupold's and have them on all of my rifles, but I'm about to "test-drive" a Sightron.

predatorsniper

Yea i went to the Rocker B with Danny Brock, had a great hunt. Thanks for the advice guys ill have to check them out.

ebay is another place to sometimes find a good deal in a new or used scope. I would suggest a good quality used over a cheap new scope. That said I have pounded the daylights out of four different IOR scopes on a .300 Jarrett, and they have held up quite nicely.

I'd recommend the Weaver Grand Slam. A 3-10x40 will cost you around $240. That is what I have on my .270 WSM. I used to be a Leupold only guy, but I now have 3 Grand Slams and love each one of them. They are extremely good for the money.
wink.gif

Small world! I had fun bouncing around in that high rack.

Save a little money whenever you can and get you a good, used Leupold. You won't regret it and they have a great warranty (lifetime). I'm about to get a Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 for coyotes and cats.

Take it easy and we'll talk to you soon,

predatorsniper
(Rusty)

[ 11-09-2004: Message edited by: predatorsniper ]

Yea the high rack was pretty crazy lol, well thanks for advice and good luck with your new scope.
Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.