Time for new coyote/target rifle

Made the switch to 6mm and will never go back. The 6mm doesn't seem to blow big holes like I got with my swift, yet it hits em way harder. Don't know how that is possible but that's how it is for me. The 243 will be a little hard on barrels, but that's part of the game. I'm running a 6br for the light bullets and a dasher for the heavys. Couldnt be happier with these two calibers. Look on accurate shooter for some good info on these calibers.

Thanks for all the great responses. I found a very nice used Remington 700 CDL Boone and Crocket in 243. This is a "heavier" 24" fluted barrel with a 1:9.125 twist and a beautiful laminated wood stock. Would this seem to be a good starting point for this project at their right price? My hope would be to not have to go the custom barrel route right away, necessarily. I'm hoping some trigger work, and maybe bedding the action will get me under 1" groups. Does that seem like a realistic expectation?

adjust the trigger and shoot. I would start with 85, 87 or 88 grain ; and I4064 and varget. .030" off the lands. lapua brass and 210m or br2 primers

If you're serious about reloading and don't mind a little rifle weight in your hunting adventure, I recommend a 6mmBR in one of the Savage target rifle offerings.

, I would build a 6BR with an 8 twist sporter barrel (Brux, Bartlein, Krieger) and a Vais brake on a Remington-type action, HS precision stock, and Jewell trigger with a good quality fine crosshair scope. But that's just me...
Jesse

Just curious - why a brake on a .243 or 6, BR with a heavy barrel ? Not a criticism, really curious about the potential benefit for such a light recoil setup.

6mm BR is a very interesting setup.

Just curious - why a brake on a .243 or 6, BR with a heavy barrel ? Not a criticism, really curious about the potential benefit for such a light recoil setup.

6mm BR is a very interesting setup.

You can literally watch the bullet fly all the way to the target with one.

I just went through this last year and went with the 22-250 AI and love it. I went with the 1-9 twist it is good and bad, I cant shoot the 75 amaxs like I wanted but shoots the 70 VLDs awesome. I can also go down to 60 gr vmaxs. so far it likes everything I put in it, under the 70 gr VLD. Little to no case stretch with the AI. get just over 1/4 moa it shoots much better than I do.

saw. What rifle do you have or who built it with what parts?

A Local Smith Doug Stueptfert Brushy Creek Gunsmith built it for me. Remington action, 1-9 Mcgowen barrel. Had the action and barrel trued. Put a shrewd break on it. 4X20X50 Burris Veracity Scope I can see the impacts.

I finally picked up a used Remington 7-08 that I will be making into either a fast twist 243 or a 260 Rem. The plan is to place this action onto a 26" Dougles varmint contour barrel, pillar bedded on a laminated wood varmint stock. I would appreciate any thoughts on the caliber choice above. The purpose is still target shooting and occasional coyotes at "longer" ranges - say 600 to maybe 1000 yards at some point. I really like the higher BC of the 6.5mm together with still tolerable recoil. I will be reloading for either and will have to acquire everything (dies, brass, etc) to do so. Thanks for any advice

I finally picked up a used Remington 7-08 that I will be making into either a fast twist 243 or a 260 Rem.
I'd try some 162 Amax or 168 Bergers in your 7-08 barrel before it goes in the dumpster. It might surprise you.......

The Brother In law has a Remington 25-06 Rifle,uses it mostly for Deer Hunting....when a Coyote happens to show itself it usually gets a hole put thru it.Its not pretty and its not fur Friendly either. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.