Time for new Binos, Minox, Vortex Viper, Meopta, Nikon EDG, or???

wasgas

I will probably be buying some new binos this season, I want a set of 10X power and want to keep it under $1,000. I am upgrading from Nikon Monarchs and have considered the following brands, but only have experience with one of them. I tend to like the comfort of the rubber eye cups better, as I hate the discomfort of my current Nikon's eye cups. I plan on using them for 2-5 hours a day for three hunts this year, each a week long.

Vortex Viper 10x42 $600 I have used these in the field and like them
Meopta Meostar 10X42 $899
Cabelas Euro 10X42 $799
Nikon EDG 10X32 $999 and -SLR D3000 rebate (at Cabelas $1,899???)
Minox HG's $500-1400

Please reccomend any that I may have missed that could be a better value. I like the Swaro SLC HD's but at $2300 they will not be in my pack anytime soon.

I have a set of the Vipers and love them. I put them up against a pair of swaro's my friend has and we could not tell a difference. I know people say that kind of stuff but that's the honest truth. He was pretty upset seeing how I paid less than half of what he did. I think they have been the best value for binoculars I have seen yet. Give Scott at Liberty optics a call, best prices I have seen on the Vortex stuff. I cant comment on the others as i have no experience with them, but i love when my money goes farther and these did that for me. They claim the razors are even better but I have a hard time seeing how anything can be much better.

I have some Minox 15x binos. I have used them on a tripod during my hunting trips and scouting also. Honestly, my next binos are going to be Leica's or Swaro's. I have a set of Kahles in 8x and they are CLEAR!!! I am impressed with them but they do not make 10x or 12x. I have Zeiss, which are clearer than my Minox also. I have not seen the Nikon EDG but have some Monarch's (not impressed with), I hear that the EDG's are worth the $$ but they are more than Leica and Swaro's.

I have never gotten a hold of Vortex, Viper or Meopta to compare to so someone else might be able to give you some information on them.

These are the binoculars which I have used... Pentax, Leupold Wind River, Burris, Nikon Monarch, Swarovski EL's and SLC's, Zeiss, Kahles, Leica, Steiner and Minox that I can think of off the top of my head. My pair of older Leupold Wind Rivers were clearer than my Minox and a little less $$ (not to mention the Minox are heavy).

I have looked through several pairs of Leica's and Swaro's and really believe that they are worth the extra money over the Minox! Just my opinion.... take it for what it is worth. I will most likely be purchasing a pair of either Leica or Swarovski this season... GOOD LUCK!

Do yourself a favor and save your money and buy a new or use Leica or Swaro... Then you won't be in the market for a another new pair in a year or two... Buy once, cry once. Plus you'll have the enjoyment of a true quality pair of binoculars for a lifetime. I bought my first Leica's over twenty years ago... they have never needed repaired or not worked perfectly for countless hunts! NJS

There are a ton of options in your price range!

If you like the Vortex Vipers, you should LOVE the Vortex Razors. They are far better binoculars and have the open-hinge design like Swarovski ELs.

Call the Outdoorsmans (800-291-8065), a sponsor of this site, and a company that is owned by hunters, staffed by hunters, and caters to hunters. They have the 10x42 Razors for $770 and the Vipers for $550.

Good luck!

Over the last few weeks I have had the opportunity to try some of the binoculars listed in this thread in the field. and here is a brief description of what I have found. I was able to use most of these on multiple days from sunrise to dusk and from 1800' desert to 9000' alpine areas. It seemes that the toughest test for them was when glassing hills to the west shortly after sunrise.

Cabelas Euro 10X42: I picked these up on sale for $699, as soon as I opened the box all of the paperwork said Meopta everywhere on them, just wraped in a cabelas jacket. The fit and finish is nice but a little old school which is fine too. The focus is nice and easy to use, however the diopter adjustment is good but seems to require adjustments for different distances, more so than some others. They are a little heavy but have a good fit and the weight is quickly forgiven as soon as soon as you put them to use. The optics on these are exceptional, and they have proven to be a great value and maybe the best thing out there for less than 4 figures. The Swaros are better however it will take a trained eye to notice much difference in them. I have used these alot since the original post and I like them more and more each time I pick them up, the glare is as minimal as it gets until you are ready to spend $2,000.

Vortex Razor 12X50: I did not get to spend a lot of time with these but was ale to use them at the right time of the morning when the sun was at its worse point. The fit and feel is great, the comfort is there as well. The optics are sharp and crisp in good light, however they drop off drasticaly when batteling the sun in your face. The focus adjustments are hard to dial in.

Vortex Viper 10X42: Nice fit and finish very light weight and easy to hold and cary. Comfort during use is pretty good for my eyes. The focus adjustments are hard to dial in. Optics are better than any $300 competitor but not up to par with the more expensive units, they work well and I think you would be happy with them for around or less than $500.

Minox HG 10X43: Nice fit and finish very light weight and easy to hold and cary. Eyecups are a similar design to the Nikon Monarchs and the comfort is marginal at best. The optics are not worth the cleaning wipes that I used on the lenses these have about the same optical quality as $40 set of Walmart binoculars, no more details are needed as they were simply horible, they pick up a very strong glare rendering them unuseable at the best hunting times. I cannot stress enough how dissapointed I was with these.

To sum it up binoculars seem to come in 4 ranges of quality but at many different prices. I wanted the quality of a $2000 set but only had the budget of half that, however with the Cabelas Euro/Meopta I found great optics that go beyond anything I saw with a $1000 price tag at a fraction of the cost. After a few Meopta scopes I have used it is no surprise that this quality of a glass would come from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.