Time for a boot upgrade, need some help

wife and i both worn kennetrek, mountain extremes for the last 4 yrs with no complaints before that i wore herman survivor which was actually a decent boot for the money

my father was a fan of texas steers for yrs until they went out of business was the only boot he ever bought

I have been a midwest whitetail hunter all of my life but this past year I have the bug for backpack/mountain hunting. I bought what I thought to be a decent boot in the Under Armour line up to discover it isn't enough for the load out packing elk. For the same elk hunt, my son bought Lacrosse windrose boots and said his feet felt great after packing out two bulls.

What I need help with is picking a better quality boot and not breaking the bank. Lets say the budget is 300 and under and I want non-insulated. I want something that is water proof (gtx), holds up well, has a nice toe box and doesn't require a long break-in period. Lowa, La Sportiva Nucleo and Salomon Quest have been some I have been considering because I can try them on locally at REI. Any input would be great and how they fit compared to Under Armour or Nike would be nice information.
Lowa Renegade GTX mid is a great boot. I've had a dozen pairs and hike with a heavy pack year round. No break in period. Lasts pretty long and under 200. They make a great winter version called the ice something that's a little taller around the ankle and insulated. Beautiful boot. Light but very powerful feeling.

wife and i both worn kennetrek, mountain extremes for the last 4 yrs with no complaints before that i wore herman survivor which was actually a decent boot for the money
Kennetreks here, Mountain Ex and Guide, and Safari, as do many club members. It seems two were wearing them and more found out. Contagious. Before that Galibier Verncours, which were used by some rock climbers but I haven't seen available in decades.

I've had top of the line Danner, Kenetrek, Lathrop & Sons, etc...

My current favorite boot is the Crispi Wild Rock GTX. Only boot I've ever worn that didn't need a break in. Very tough and very comfortable in the mountains. Unfortunately they won't fit into your $300 budget range but I think they are worth every penny. So much so that I bought a second pair to have on hand just in case they stop making that model.

The one boot I would stay away from is Kenetrek. Anyone who says they are a great boot doesn't hunt very hard in the mountains. They won't hold up to hard hiking like other good boots, won't flex like others, and won't stay waterproof in extreme wet conditions (even with gaiters on) because their tongue and leather layering designs are flawed. Break in period is absolutely awful and painful and you'll never fully get rid of the heel rub. Myself and a handful of buddies had the same exact experiences with Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots in the high country of the Rocky Mountains. And their customer service is pretty sad. Just stay away from them if you plan on hunting hard in rugged country or you'll end up with a $500 set of broke down house slippers.

Last edited:
I have used Salomon Quests 4Ds before, they are a good boot but don't last very long. I am currently running Zamberlan Saguaros and have gotten 2 seasons out of them so far with plenty of life left. Go try on as many pairs of different boots you can and buy what fits your feet the best.
Salomon do carry a two year warranty for craftsmanship. I wear Salomon on a daily basis and I do agree they don't last long but I take a few pics and file a warranty, they give me credit and I order another pair. Just a heads up to save some money

I found when it comes to boots it's really a personal preference. You kind of need to put them on and walk around. I know some people rave about Crispi, my feet don't like them. I've been very happy with Zamberlain and Lowa, although the Lowa's are heavier in my opinion.

Kennetrek has been my favorite boot to date. Guided in one pair for 5 years straight. I have also had great luck with Crispi boots. It's definitely worth spending the extra money on a good pair.