Time for a boot upgrade, need some help

Nah
I can easily understand Goodyear, but what is the deal with Under Armor? I was thinking about buying some for an upcoming bear hunt. It sounds like that would be a mistake.
nah just my take. I have many pair of their cold gear long johns and they have lasted years and years. They claim to support hunters but pulled their sponsorship from a guy who speared a bear. Only after the antis told them to. I'm just not giving them anymore of my support because all they care about is making a dollar at the expense of hunters.

Well, that makes for a tough decision. I have heard all good things about their products, but I do not like the idea of doing business with a company that caves to the antis. This is rapidly wearing down my choices of what I can buy from whom. These companies need to keep their opinions to themselves.

Last edited:
Lowa fan here, on my 3rd pair. I do have one pair of Crispi's but they get left in the closet most of the time.

There are numerous reputable brands out there. Everyone's feet are different, so taking recommendations is tough.

Sounds like you need a stiffer boot. I like stiffer too, and schnee's granites have been a favorite for a few years now, and recently the scarpa manta techs. The schnee's run a half size small, the scarpa's are true to size.

I've got a pair of the lacrosse for winters after I buggered my sorels on my first time out. I did end up buying carbon ceramic toes to glue on, light and good for kicking. They were an odd ball set at canadian tire for cheap and come to Just below the knee. Great for walking, suck in the truck.

I know you said you don't want to wear anything in but this summer I took my redwing work boots out. I won't take anything else. "a good set of leathers will do you, and your kids well" my grandfather said to me once, he was buying me my first boots, gloves, and hat. I still have the gloves and hat, shoes were size 5 so they went to the nephew.

The red wings have always fit well and have a huge line up. A co worker has worked his through 10 soles over 35 years and has more "3 peaks and a valley over" storeys than I have brass.

Ive got the lineman versions. Steel toes yes but there are other versions with carbon or nothing, low ankle to mid calf. I wax mine every 6mo and set them on a heater over night.
My basement flooded 6in last year and they sat in sewage for over a week. Still dry inside and after a quick wash dont smell in the least.

I haven't seen Salewa mentioned yet. I love mine. Also love my Schnee's. Their customer service is outstanding. I would be prepared to buy several pairs and end up returning most of them

Last edited:
I can easily understand Goodyear, but what is the deal with Under Armor? I was thinking about buying some for an upcoming bear hunt. It sounds like that would be a mistake.
Basically a tennis shoe sole like Rocky's. On rough terrain they'll beat your feet to death.

I've tried lots of different boots and I start by looking for the "Vibram" tag on the sole and go from there. Soft soles have their place but will quickly fatigue your feet.

Whatever you buy they need to be built on a true boot last. Not molded like a tennis shoe. Stability and support are both musts. Danner Marine Combat Boots, Aetrex orthotic insoles (L405) and Thorlo high cushion, over the calf duty socks are combination I've worn since the first Gulf War in uniform and out. For me nothing else comes close. Start wearing them now. Work up to a couple miles at a time after dinner. Little break in is needed, but you want the combination to settle in together before you hit the mountains and high plains with a load on your back. Even running with a load they remain solid for years. Enjoy the hunt!

I have been a midwest whitetail hunter all of my life but this past year I have the bug for backpack/mountain hunting. I bought what I thought to be a decent boot in the Under Armour line up to discover it isn't enough for the load out packing elk. For the same elk hunt, my son bought Lacrosse windrose boots and said his feet felt great after packing out two bulls.

What I need help with is picking a better quality boot and not breaking the bank. Lets say the budget is 300 and under and I want non-insulated. I want something that is water proof (gtx), holds up well, has a nice toe box and doesn't require a long break-in period. Lowa, La Sportiva Nucleo and Salomon Quest have been some I have been considering because I can try them on locally at REI. Any input would be great and how they fit compared to Under Armour or Nike would be nice information.
Give Salewa a look. They have options that are suitable for early, mid and late season hunts/excursions.

I have owned 4 pairs and I have never been happier with boots. Use a pair of gaiters with them and you're golden.

Recent Posts