Time for a boot upgrade, need some help

@Lnewton With your needs, I would save up for a couple more months to get into that $400-$500 budget.

I've been running the hoffman explorer & armor pro for years with MANY miles put on. Combined with a good pair of insoles these truly have withstood the test of time. A true all season boot that has proven to be a great bang for the buck!

so when I hiked the Appalachian Trail after retirement, I used an insert called Superfeet. The green is the one that has the most support. Their line of inserts are color coded. My hiking boots held up to an embarrassingly heavy pack for 3 months until I changed to trail runners because of the heat. The green Superfeets made the switch also. No foot problems for 2181 miles.

Best boots ever are the Salomon Quest 4 Goretex. I have worn this series of boots for years hunting Elk in Colorado and they are comfortable and give great support.

A friend of mine has a pair of the quest 4D's and said they are great but dont hold up well. I think I am going to try them on as well as the Crispi Nevada and Crispi Wyoming.

Everyone's foot is different. Mine are wide and flat and after many years, and many boots, I ended up with Crispi's. Break-in period lasted 1-2 hikes in the several pair I have. Very comfortable and durable. They are more than your $300 budget but you can pick them up on sale at Camofire often. As others have said, don't put a budget on your boots. I did that for years and kept them under $200 and was never satisfied. Find a store, or several, where you can try on boots before you buy.

Everyone's foot is different. Mine are wide and flat and after many years, and many boots, I ended up with Crispi's. Break-in period lasted 1-2 hikes in the several pair I have. Very comfortable and durable. They are more than your $300 budget but you can pick them up on sale at Camofire often. As others have said, don't put a budget on your boots. I did that for years and kept them under $200 and was never satisfied. Find a store, or several, where you can try on boots before you buy.
THIS ☝🏻 This is why I recommend Lathrop & Sons…

I bought the danner"s that are made in Oregon not china. They cost $550 but the seem to be holding up well after 3 seasons, I think I will get at least 10 years out of them. The Chinese Danners I picked up 4 years ago blew out after 1 season for 150 bucks.

There are lots and lots of great boots in your budget range, and you absolutely do not need to spend $1-500 more for certain brand names. Go try on several (sucks because you cant wear them for a month) and then buy where ever you prefer. I have worn Danner for 35 years and I have two pair now. They have held up incredible and the all leather remain water proof longer than the mix of nylon/leather ones. I prefer the replaceable sole boots not the glue on throw away, and have put 3-4 new soles on them. I and most of my buddies buy our boots from Work Boots USA on line. We don't have shops that stock much of anything around us.

No matter what boots you end up with I'd also look into getting a pair of good insoles. I ran Superfeet this last season and it was a night and day difference in comfort for me. Stock insoles in most boots are lacking.

I have been a midwest whitetail hunter all of my life but this past year I have the bug for backpack/mountain hunting. I bought what I thought to be a decent boot in the Under Armour line up to discover it isn't enough for the load out packing elk. For the same elk hunt, my son bought Lacrosse windrose boots and said his feet felt great after packing out two bulls.

What I need help with is picking a better quality boot and not breaking the bank. Lets say the budget is 300 and under and I want non-insulated. I want something that is water proof (gtx), holds up well, has a nice toe box and doesn't require a long break-in period. Lowa, La Sportiva Nucleo and Salomon Quest have been some I have been considering because I can try them on locally at REI. Any input would be great and how they fit compared to Under Armour or Nike would be nice information.
There are alot of great boots, personal experience with the big brands, they are all good. But....
Schness Beartooth amazing comfort very quiet for bowhunting. Great ankle support
I have been a midwest whitetail hunter all of my life but this past year I have the bug for backpack/mountain hunting. I bought what I thought to be a decent boot in the Under Armour line up to discover it isn't enough for the load out packing elk. For the same elk hunt, my son bought Lacrosse windrose boots and said his feet felt great after packing out two bulls.

What I need help with is picking a better quality boot and not breaking the bank. Lets say the budget is 300 and under and I want non-insulated. I want something that is water proof (gtx), holds up well, has a nice toe box and doesn't require a long break-in period. Lowa, La Sportiva Nucleo and Salomon Quest have been some I have been considering because I can try them on locally at REI. Any input would be great and how they fit compared to Under Armour or Nike would be nice information.
Personal boot review, I have worn ever one of these boots out, to the point of no warranty. I'm 6'4" and weigh 220, so i can be hard on boots. I spend most of my time wearing these boots as well.

Schness Beartooth, great fit, great ankle support, plenty of warmth for Temps around 0 if moving. Soul is very quiet compared to Kenetrek. Traction is a great. Very stable on uneven, and step terrain. Handles heavy loads with comfort. Not as dangerous to walk on ice with. Highly recommend.
Kenetrek insulated/non- great boot I would recommend. Not the best soul for bowhunting or stalking in close. Very loud. Great durability, stiffer than schness boots, great ankle support will handle a very heavy load with comfort. Will kill you on ice. Soul is very hard not great on slick sticks or ice. Also takes longer to break in due to stiffness of boot. Do not wear insulated boot above 30 degrees your feet will feel as if you walked in a swamp. Very dependable boot.

Mendal- alot like wearing Schness, very durable not as stiff as Kenetrek, quiet soul, good traction and they hold up well.

Crispi- probably the lightest of the bunch, good soul/traction, not as much ankle support as Schness or Kenetrek. But very close.

Lasting durability, probably a toss up between Schness and Kenetrek. Comfort, all about the same but would probably say Crispi or Mendals? Quietness crispi, schness/Mendel, then Kenetrek. Overall fit, wider foot Kenetrek, Schness/Mendel, Crispi.
Normal/narrow foot reverse order. All seem to run very true to size. Late season insulated, go up a size you can thank me later. All handle heavy loads well, but probably the Kenetrek wins in that department due to the stiffness. Do not buy a pair of any of these and go hike in the mountains they will destroy your feet if you don't break them in first FYI especially the Kenetrek. Stiff boots need time to form to your feet, wear them to the store, work, wherever for 2 weeks befor hand. No one likes blisters.
Just my opinion go try them on see what you like, expensive boots last longer then expensive women, plus they Carry a bigger load, so do your feet a favor and don't buy cheap boots they will last, and you will have them for a couple years of hard hiking instead of a couple months.

You can't run fast enough to give me ANYTHING made by Nike!!!😡