Timber stocks?

Stix

I love timber stocks but see the versatility in a synthetic stock that you can bash around out hunting and not have it look any worse for wear.

Is a free floating barrel in a quality timber stock really any less acurate than a synthetic stock? Is a bit of rain or moisture really going to affect POI? I could see over many many years that wood can twist and warp which change POI but not on a daily basis.

I have a really hard time finding timber stocked rifles and am just wondering if i'm missing the point somewhere?

I love timber stocks but see the versatility in a synthetic stock that you can bash around out hunting and not have it look any worse for wear.

Is a free floating barrel in a quality timber stock really any less acurate than a synthetic stock? Is a bit of rain or moisture really going to affect POI? I could see over many many years that wood can twist and warp which change POI but not on a daily basis.

I have a really hard time finding timber stocked rifles and am just wondering if i'm missing the point somewhere?

Get a McMillan woody or an accuracy innovations. I don't really know the answers to all your questions, but I feel scratched and dented wood add character to a rifle.

As with anything made of wood intended to see time outside. The finish means everything, as well as how the finish is maintained. I make a lot of out door furniture, and refinish wood stocks. The most important thing is to make double **** sure it's sealed, and every so often touch it up. in the last 5 years or so I've developed a serious liking for teak oil, it's still linseed oil but with a polyurethane added. On a rifle stock all it takes for touch up is some light buffing with fine steel wool (inspect for and remove slivers from the steel wool) apply the teak oil rubb in by hand (make sure you wear nitrile gloves) wipe off the excess, repeat how ever many times you feel necessary the more the better, after it dries you can then buff with a piece of burlap for a deep finish, and luster.

Hi everyone today am here to ask something relating to your topic which is that does anyone own an all timber stocks portfolio? because i have been doing alot of research on this and it seems like its a great oppertunity... im 26 with 10,000$ to start investing please tell me what you think....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.