Tikka T3x custom or start over

el Pollero

So I had plans on either a rbros or Lang custom for this year. If I was going full custom I was going to upsize my current caliber selection to either a 7mm or 300 win mag. Well no use building a gun you cannot buy ammo for and I don't reload. I really don't see the ammo inventory getting better with our current situation in Washington.
With that said I have invested in several 308 rifles and ar10s. I have also a good supply of ammo for this caliber .
May surprise many but might least favorite and probably least accurate is a Tikka T3x lite stainless .
Never have loved this gun. Smooth action is its only plus. It really is to light for my liking. The stock was terrible . Never got much more than 1.5 moa with the ammoni tried. Swapped the stock to a Boyd at-1 with I like better. Swapped to a bottoms metal , big bolt knob , and metal bolt shroud. All cosmetic but trying to like the gun more .
So I'm thinking of sending it to LRI . Change the barrel . Thinking I would like to have a bartlein. That has been on my want list for a long time. Proof has my attention but I have never read anything bad about a bartlein. Thinking 22" 308. Carbon fiber barrel is not a must but I like the aesthetic of the green CF bartlein.
Change the stock. Interested in a KRG Bravo. Or having LRI custom inletting a stock and have the fixed recoil lug done that they offer. The bravo is heavier but I think I would be happier with some added weight.
Pretty happy with the trigger .

looking for any suggestions or guidance .
I know these super light hunting rifle are all the rage but I'm not fond. Hunted with a REM PSS 308 for years . It is extreme on the weight but can hit clothes line clip at 100 yards constantly so I new what I was aiming at I was hitting . Not that confident in this tikka.
Think I want to stay 308 . Maybe it's worth the money to start over .

Any thoughts

308. It's got around 150-200 rounds through it . Never got better consistent 1 moa out of it , closer to 1.5 to 2 "off the bench and a sandbag. Tried several different ammos. I don't reload .
I will say it is too light for my liking and I am sure I am part of it accuracy issues. But to my defense I have several other rifles and some AR15 platform rifles that I invest in top quality parts that I can consistently shoot sub moa with

I would try shooting the Tikka 308 with a Bravo before taking the step of rebarreling it. That will increase the weight and likely the accuracy (in my experience anyway). Make sure you have a good scope.

My experience with Tikka T3 mirrors yours in every respect. I tried every bullet weight. I changed the stock bedding. I liked the trigger but what good is a good trigger on a rifle that won't shoot? PM for the solution to your problem. Don't spend any more money till you hear from me.

I believe a lightweight rifle is best with a light-recoiling caliber, and 308 Win is pushing it. This puts me in the "start fresh" camp.

My experience with Tikka T3 mirrors yours in every respect. I tried every bullet weight. I changed the stock bedding. I liked the trigger but what good is a good trigger on a rifle that won't shoot? PM for the solution to your problem. Don't spend any more money till you hear from me.

Im curious what the solution is

Tikka's are generally accurate rifles, but there are always mellons. You have a 308 bolt face and it should be a good action. I would get it in a lathe and check bolt face and action face run out as well as trueness of the lugs. If no red flags, I would build on it.

With that bolt face, the 280AI, 6.5 Weatherby RPM, 6.5 thru 338 Sherman are all very fast options. Since you don't reload, the first 2 make more sense.

I'm also interested in the secret to making Tikka's shoot??

Tikka's are generally accurate rifles, but there are always mellons. You have a 308 bolt face and it should be a good action. I would get it in a lathe and check bolt face and action face run out as well as trueness of the lugs. If no red flags, I would build on it.

With that bolt face, the 280AI, 6.5 Weatherby RPM, 6.5 thru 338 Sherman are all very fast options. Since you don't reload, the first 2 make more sense.

I'm also interested in the secret to making Tikka's shoot??
I researched the 280ai for several months and if I built a custom it was on the top of the list. But now it doesn't make sense with ammo shortages and prices what they are.
Seen this coming years ago and concentrated my collection of rifles and ammo to a few easily found calibers (308, 6.5 Grendel, 223, .22, 44mag, and 9mm).
Within those calibers I cover all my and my kids needed hunting and plinking.
I think it's wise to build or customize with what I have a good supply of ammo for.

I foresee a future where every gun and and every round of ammo is taxed to the point you can't afford it.
it will be hard for a sitting administration to round up several million guns from law biding civilians. It will not be hard at all to tax you on them until you have to decide if you can finically afford them.
Just my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.