Tikka T3x CTR w/ 20” barrel

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Howdy guys. I'm looking for some opinions here.

So I have been wanting a good plinking rifle to shoot a lot and plan on doing it in a 6.5 CM. I have been leaning toward the Bergara b14 hunter. I like the feel of the gun and it seems to have really good out of box accuracy and lots of aftermarket options.

I'm now realizing it's almost impossible to find these in the 6.5, it's pretty much sold out of every retailer and undetermined backorder Time. Well I found a local ad for a Tikka T3X CTR with the 20" barrel with low round count in 6.5 creedmoor. And the guy is getting .5" MOA out of match grade factory ammo.

I've never shot a Tikka and have only picked one up to feel a couple times at gun shops. I'm concerned about the limited trigger options, and the feel of the stock, which to me looks like I would either love it or hate it immediately.

Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks

Stocks can be replaced and there's a good number of options for tikkas.
The 20" will definitely give up some velocity from the 24" ctr but if the price is right who cares. Tikka trigger are usually decent from what I've seen.

I have that rifle, although I dropped it in a Manners T4 and put a proof barrel on it. Not because I needed to do it, I just can't leave well enough alone. In stock form, that Tikka shot as good or better than most guns I have ever been around. Easily half MOA with almost anything I put through it. I think Tikkas have great triggers as well. I left my stock trigger on the gun and adjusted it to a crisp 2 lbs. While not pretty to my eye, the factory stock functions perfectly well and with a cheek pad brought my eye perfectly in line with my optic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

i have that rifle in 308. easily my best shooter. 10 shots ( reloads) into half inch.
little heavy but not by much, i highly recommend it.

I have the original CTR in 260. If they had offered a Creed at that time, I would have gone that route simply due to factory ammo availability. My CTR has only ever shot handloads, and it shoots under .5 MOA at 100, and I've shot it out to 1150 with no problems. Trigger is probably the best factory trigger I have ever felt (I am not including semi-customs here).

What I would change? Well, I wanted a 24" barrel...which they did not import just then (ie, exactly what I wanted... a creedmore with a 24, they now have!!). I also don't care for the stock, but it's really not so bad once you get used to it. That said, there are options.

But overall, the thing shoots!

BTW, I did check out a Bergara in 6.5 this weekend at a gunshow....probably exactly what you are looking for. A dealer in San Antonio had it in stock, but I can't remember the name of the place. It is a new indoor range they have opened there, 100 yards indoors is what makes it unique in the area. If you do a google search, you might find it and if you decide to go that route, they could probably hook you up. The one thing I disliked was that the cheek piece adjustment lock is friction hold only. I can imagine that wearing out, slipping, or getting knocked at an inopportune time. If I had it, I would probably set it for myself and lock-tight it and try not to mess with it. But it seemed a nice rifle, did not get to check the trigger though.

I have 2. The first one in .223 has given 0.25" groups, with Hornady Match Ammo. It has a couple of thousand sage rats on it, still going strong.

I bought the .260, and it gives under 0.75" readily. I need to spend some time refining it, but it's mostly kids using it, and volume has been more important.

Check the magazines if you can, neither of these came with one that was worth a ****. I did recently order a magazine, and it is much improved over the early ones.

If they made a left hand in this model I'd buy another.

I have 2. The first one in .223 has given 0.25" groups, with Hornady Match Ammo. It has a couple of thousand sage rats on it, still going strong.

I bought the .260, and it gives under 0.75" readily. I need to spend some time refining it, but it's mostly kids using it, and volume has been more important.

Check the magazines if you can, neither of these came with one that was worth a ****. I did recently order a magazine, and it is much improved over the early ones.

If they made a left hand in this model I'd buy another.
i didnt know they made the ctr in 223? are you sure its not a different model...?

I guess technically it's the "Scout". Other than the magazine it's a 20" barrel etc. I bought the .260 partly as the kids get mileage on the .223, and stepping to the .260 is second nature.

Well amazingly I found a bergara b14 Hunter in stock locally. When I noticed your comment HarperC I was wondering at first if you were the one selling the gun! Considering your from Spokane.

Post falls! I work in the valley tho. Grew up in rathdrum, down the road from Defensive Edge and never even knew it was there.

Tikka triggers are fantastic and you can always order a YoDave trigger spring to reduce the pull weight even more. I have one in 308 that is in a McMillan A3/5, it's donor for a 6mm Creedmoor build in the future. Very accurate rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.