Tikka T3 vs Rem 700 SPS 308 Varmit LH woes!

seagiant

Hi,
I'm trying to get my head straight on a "build" I want to do, using an XLR Chassis.

I really wanted to use a Tikka T3 rifle with a heavy barrel, but they do not come that way in LH!

I'm now looking at a Rem 700 SPS Varmit, with a heavy barrel.

It seems the Remington is pretty accurate if you get it in a decent stock.

I have looked at everything from every angle trying to do this as economically as I can.

Was wondering what you guys thought?

Well...The way I see it is, if one of the 2 rifles you are considering comes in the configuration you are looking for, and the other one does not...I think you're question is already answered. :D

Hi,
Well the problem is the Remington (to me) is not the quality of the Tikka!

I guess I could put the Tikka in the XLR and shoot the barrel out and then rebarrel?

Wish I was rich!

The other thing is, people say buy the Tikka just for the action and trigger which would be $800 for me as the LH models are more expensive ($200) than RH!

There's also the Savage option, which I'm trying to stay away from,even though they ARE lefty friendly!

Hi,

I guess I could put the Tikka in the XLR and shoot the barrel out and then rebarrel?

Wish I was rich!

The other thing is, people say buy the Tikka just for the action and trigger which would be $800 for me as the LH models are more expensive ($200) than RH!

There's also the Savage option, which I'm trying to stay away from,even though they ARE lefty friendly!

Bingo!

Here's a lefty >>> https://tikkaperformance.com/tikka-rifle/tikka-t3-lite-stainless-left

BTW, excellent source of Tikka product and shooters >>> http://www.tikkashooters.com/

I don't have a Tikka 3 (I have a SAKO M995 in .300WM) but have set-up 3 in the last year for my friends and they are quite the shooter of the box.

TIKKA T3 - REDEFINING YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF A RIFLE.

The principle behind Tikka rifles is bold: with modern technology, there is no excuse for not delivering hunters the features they desire most in a rifle at a modest price. So the engineers at Sako in Finland went to work and the result is truly the finest production rifle available to the hunter. Tikka T3 rifles incorporate a silky smooth action, a crisp, adjustable trigger, a sleek, attractive design and a truly unbeatable price. But most importantly, each one of these rifles only leaves Finland after grouping three shots under one-inch at 100 m, thus making them an industry benchmark for out-of-the-box accuracy. Capitalizing on Sako`s long gun making traditions, Tikka T3 has managed to combine modern technology with tradition and craftsmanship to meet the requirements of modern hunters. Tikka T3 rifles are manufactured by Sako in Riihimäki, Finland.
Savage rifles are shooters out of the box and is also very DIY friendly.

Last edited:
YMMV, but I am also a lefty and in your situation I would just get the right handed tikka. I can cycle the bolt (Long Action...) while staying in the scope just fine, which is not an option with a right hand 700 or Savage. Just my view on things, it truly sucks that the higher end models are only available in right hand:rolleyes:gun)

Hi,

Wish I was rich!

What parts of the Remington do you think "is not the quality of the Tikka"?

Personal bias aside, most all factory rifles (in factory configurations) are about equal in quality, and in most cases, the barrel is the faulty part.

What parts of the Remington do you think "is not the quality of the Tikka"?

Personal bias aside, most all factory rifles (in factory configurations) are about equal in quality, and in most cases, the barrel is the faulty part.

Hi,
Thanks fellas!

I'm done with RH rifles, as I am a REAL lefty!

The Remington 700 factory action has a few flaws compared to the Tikka!

1- The handle on the bolt is not as strong and has been known to be a problem in rough conditions.

2- The extractor is crap, this is why there are the SAKO and M-16 extractor up grade. Tikka has it already of course!

3- The trigger is junk most are replaced with an aftermarket, however the trigger on the Tikka is good to go!

4- The Tikka unlike the Rem 700 does not need to be blueprinted it's machining is good from the factory!

5- Oh yea, the Tikka has more support in the action and has an ejection port like a custom action instead of open like the Rem 700!

The other thing is from the buzz on the different forums is the craftsmanship of the Remington has gone down even more in the past few years???

All of this is why I'm in this fix of deciding what to do???

If Tikka made a HB inLH this would be a done deal!

Might have to start looking at Savage?

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks fellas!

I'm done with RH rifles, as I am a REAL lefty!

The Remington 700 factory action has a few flaws compared to the Tikka!

1- The handle on the bolt is not as strong and has been known to be a problem in rough conditions.

2- The extractor is crap, this is why there are the SAKO and M-16 extractor up grade. Tikka has it already of course!

3- The trigger is junk most are replaced with an aftermarket, however the trigger on the Tikka is good to go!

4- The Tikka unlike the Rem 700 does not need to be blueprinted it's machining is good from the factory!

The other thing is from the buzz on the different forums is the craftsmanship of the Remington has gone down even more in the past few years???

All of this is why I'm in this fix of deciding what to do???

If Tikka made a HB inLH this would be a done deal!

Might have to start looking at Savage?

Looks like you got it figured out.

Good luck!

Hi,
Well....Logic would push me that way!

I actually get upset that we can't build a better rifle for the Consumer in this country to compete in the market place!

The Tikka is not made by Chinese Slave Labor so as I see it WE have no excuse!

If I wanted to buy a Tikka T3 and just use the action and trigger and rebarrel I would be money ahead of buying a custom action.

I just hate to basically throw away a hammer forged barrel.

The cheap stock I could care less!

Hi,
Thanks!

I know where to get one for about $718!

If I was RH I could get it for $600!

ONE of the joys of being left handed!!!

I'm now looking at the Manner's T4 stock.

No matter how I go a stock is going to be close to $800 the way I want it!

morning, u r educated on tikka's, but not on SPS rem LH heavy barrel. I have one in

.223, the trigger is adjustable. the stock fit is not problem, the balance is not problem,

and my LH 223 if I do my part will shoot .250's all day long. I was going to buy one

in .308. I have 2 .308's already do not need another 1. buy what u want. savage, rem,

weatherby do make very good shooters in left hand. I am left handed, no left handed

rifles when growing up. I have 2 lh rifles. custom 300Win mag rem. .223 rem SPS.

have great things to say about rem. right and left hand. I have a sako, dug deep for

info, very hard to find parts for if necessary.lightbulb

Since you are ready to pay 800 for a stock and 700-800 for an LH action and ~600 for custom barrel, you might consider a LH .308 Tikka Sporter for ~1500? The stock is essentially the same form and functional equivalent to the Sako TRG except it is laminated. It also comes with the heavy Sako hammer-forged barrel. If you are not crazy about the stock appearance it is simple to paint. These rifles are exceptional.

Hi,
Thanks!

I know where to get one for about $718!

If I was RH I could get it for $600!

ONE of the joys of being left handed!!!

I'm now looking at the Manner's T4 stock.

No matter how I go a stock is going to be close to $800 the way I want it!

Any customization the way you want it will cost you, they don't call it custom for nothing. :D This is just me but if I am willing to pay $800 for a stock, I might as well save up for a semi-custom ... better yet go full custom (you'll be ahead at the end and of better value than factory donor).

Where you stand thus far per information you've provided ...

$ 718 rifle (Tikka T3 donor)
$ 800 stock
$ 350 barrel (approx)
$ 250 thread, chamber, install barrel, square action if needed (approx)
$2118

You can offset the cost by selling the stock and barrel for maybe $200 but not really sure.

In contrast this is what I am working right now just for cost comparison for you to ponder with ...

$1000 shipped - Big Horn Arms SR2 LA (got lucky on this one)
$ 815 shipped -XLR element stock, folding adapter, tac lite butt stock, and magazine
$ 375 shipped - 27" Lilja SS barrel
$ 250 thread, chamber, install barrel
$2440

The trigger I want is about $215

As you can see, it will cost more because it is exactly what I want.

At the end, you have the ultimate decision to make, "we" can only provide you advice.

If you want to do a DIY, Savage is hard to beat! There are plenty of guys here with very good success. If you go this route, Savage Shooters is also an excellent source.

Here's http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts