Tikka T3 Tac

Jimbeaux82

I have been in the market for a suitable long range rig (1000 yds max) and came across a deal I could not refuse. It is a Tikka T3 Tac in 308 with a Leupold MK 4 16X mil dot scope.

I only had time to shoot 2 - 3 shot groups with it and both were sub-moa so I think it will shoot.

I will be developing handloads for it using 168 gr and 175 gr bullets.

Do any of our esteemed forum members have this rifle and can you offer any specific loads or tips to developing loads for this rifle?

TIA

Jimbeaux

OK - no responses to the load request. Let's try a different question. Does anyone have experience with this rifle or scope and can offer any comments or advice?

TIA
Jimbeaux

I can't offer any specific help for that rifle, but I might can help with some load info to try...

Lapua brass
Berger 168 VLD
44.0gr of Varget
Federal 210M primer
2.810" COAL

Shoots 1 ragged hole in my 5R Milspec, and 44gr of Varget tends to be a very common powder charge for .308's with 168gr bullets, but every rifle is different. You will have to work up a load to find the best/closest to perfect one for your particular rifle.

Let me know if this info helps.

I have a weatherby mark v trr in 308, very similar 22" barrel. I load 44.5gr varget with 168gr Berger VLD Hunting, lapua brass, br2 primer, 74mm OAL. This was my most accurate load, I did run up to 45.5 gr with no issue. I only shoot out to 400y with this rifle though. Most information I have read says to use 155 or 175 to take the 308 to 1000y.

I have a buddy that purchased one about 7 years back. I mounted the scope and did some initial load development. It shot fairly well with both 168 and 175 grain matchkings. Both .5-.75" @ 100 with very minimal work. I just loaded to mag length, ran the powder up till I got the slightest sign of pressure then backed it down 1 full grain. Loaded as such for both bullets it shot better than my buddy so he ran with it. It also shot the Remington 168 SMK factory ammo just as well during the barrel break in.
As for the 16X Leupold it's a good scope, especially if it's an original ultra. As a target scope it will take you out as far as your .308 will go, both in magnification and probably in turret adjustment range. For a hunting scope it will limit you. From my own experience a 16X has too small a field of view for any close shots and the exit pupil can limit your low light capabilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.