Tikka T3 Synthetic: full length or two-point bedding?

JasonKnight32

Firstly: I apologize if this has already been discussed, I searched but did not find.

I am about to bed my Tikka T3 308 Varmint with synthetic stock. The stock is rigid and pretty good for a synthetic, but I bed all my rifles just to see the difference. I have ordered the pillar bedding kit and titanium recoil lug, which I will install with the bedding.

Now: I know on wooden stocks it is preferable to do a two-point bedding because the stock can shift in the middle causing new pressure points on the action.
But: is that a less of a potential problem on a synthetic stock, since it should not move as much as wood when subjected to rain and differing temperatures (I know this is hotly debated)?

So what is your opinion? Two-point or full length bedding of the action? And please any tips&tricks you may have for a better result on the T3.

Thanks a heap for the help
//J

I'm not familiar with Tikka stocks. I like to pillar bed synthetics and do the recoil lug area as well. I've not seen much difference in full action bedding and the above on plastic stocks.

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in 22-250 that shoots so well in it's original configuration that I cannot imagine any sort of change improving its performance. How well does your Tikka Varmint shoot as is?

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in 22-250 that shoots so well in it's original configuration that I cannot imagine any sort of change improving its performance. How well does your Tikka Varmint shoot as is?
It shoots very well. As guaranteed 5 shots within 1 MOA at 100m. No problem with the accuracy per se. I just like tinkering with my guns. And any accurate rifle will generally be more accurate when perfectly mated to the stock.. hence my question. Thanks for your interest.

Pull the lug out of the stock and dremel the stock out where the lug was. Take the lug and put one drop of super glue on it and stick it back on the action. Mock it up and make sure the lug doesn't contact any where in the stock. Bed it as you would a Remington.

Pull the lug out of the stock and dremel the stock out where the lug was. Take the lug and put one drop of super glue on it and stick it back on the action. Mock it up and make sure the lug doesn't contact any where in the stock. Bed it as you would a Remington.
Thanks for the tip!
Excuse my europeanness I don´t own any Remingtons. Could you be more specific about the bedding points? I suppose its around recoil lug, and rear tang then?
Cheers

Firstly: I apologize if this has already been discussed, I searched but did not find.

I am about to bed my Tikka T3 308 Varmint with synthetic stock. The stock is rigid and pretty good for a synthetic, but I bed all my rifles just to see the difference. I have ordered the pillar bedding kit and titanium recoil lug, which I will install with the bedding.

Now: I know on wooden stocks it is preferable to do a two-point bedding because the stock can shift in the middle causing new pressure points on the action.
But: is that a less of a potential problem on a synthetic stock, since it should not move as much as wood when subjected to rain and differing temperatures (I know this is hotly debated)?

So what is your opinion? Two-point or full length bedding of the action? And please any tips&tricks you may have for a better result on the T3.

Thanks a heap for the help
//J
I'm a little confused.. are you trying to bed the factory plastic stock or did you buy an aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber?
If it's factory then I would definitely buy an aftermarket stock.
I would go with a Wildcat from AB Canada, great quality and super light.
Bed action area and recoil lug

32, epoxy bedding material will separate from the plastic stocks. Some say if you roughen the surface to be bedded it will stick, however it will crack and separate eventually. As mentioned, get a carbon fiber/ fiberglass or wood laminated stock.

I'm a little confused.. are you trying to bed the factory plastic stock or did you buy an aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber?
If it's factory then I would definitely buy an aftermarket stock.
I would go with a Wildcat from AB Canada, great quality and super light.
Bed action area and recoil lug
It is a factory stock.
I might buy an aftermarket stock for it, but I wanted to see how the standard stock would do first.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.