Tikka T3 / Remm. 700VS

desiknow

This is going to be my first real rifle other than my 10.22
I have narrowed it down to a Tikka T3 & Remm. 700VS in .223 for accuracy and cost.

Which one???? or if you have any other suggestions in the $600 or less range.
thanks

I bought the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in a .243 and very very happy with the rifle. Very smooth and dead accurate out of the box. No recoil at all or it seems that way.

bird

I've always liked the Rem just alot more after market thing like 2oz triggers etc. I think if I was to look at another rifle it would be a sako. I haven't shot a Tikka or savage so cann't comment on either. Good Luck.

I have a Tikka T3 in 300wsm. I could not be more pleased. It has been accurate on targets all the way to 600 yards. I have yet to hunt with it, but I won't be able to say that after August when I go Antelope hunting. I prefer Remingtons action on custom guns, but for all out hunting only you will be more than happy with a Tikka T3.

The Tikka is the better made of the two, better components and materials. Sure you can get loads of after market kit for the remington, but with the Tikka do you need it?
I don't own a Tikka and I own 3 Remingtons, but if i was starting out from scratch id go with a Tikka or Sako.
Pete

Tikka is much better than Remington and does not need a lot of extra work. I do not have a T-3 but it appears to have some improvements over the ones I shoot. Tikka has the best out of the box trigger you will find and they are very sturdy, accurate guns. Best buy. CZ is also extremely accurate and prettier than Tikka. I don't like the set trigger particularly, but they do shoot. Either one will out shoot a stock Remington.

Well got me a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm it gets pretty good groups but need to do some more testing is alittle on the slow side. Don't know if it's the 1/11 twist and just haven't found the right load yet. The recoil is pretty mild figure may have to put a muzzle break on but not now. It would be fun to get one of there varmiter and see how it does. I'm very inpressed with the rifle and consider getting another late this year. Got mine at sportsman warehouse out the door for $485. Well good luck.

I just got back from the range with my Rem VS .308. The one I was going to "modify".

Well, I just shot a couple 5 shot groups in the 3's and couldnt be happier.
smile.gif

I concur the Tikka is probably better made. .sakofan..

Sakofan,

Where do you shoot? What part of NC are you from?

I shoot at Catawba Valley Wildlife Club, and I live near Stanley, NC (Gastonia area).

Mike

Mike, we need to talk!! I live in Dallas. I shoot down at Leeds Rifle Range, SC now. Used to live in York.

Tell me about your range!!! How far you guys shoot??....sakofan..
grin.gif

I have a Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless in .223 Rem. on order. I've never owned a Tikka ... never even held one. I own 3 Remington 700s. I like the Remingtons but have heard a lot about quality problems in the past few years. I had a Remington 700 VSSF in .223 that I sold. When I got it, it made a gritty sound when I worked the bolt. When I got it home, I took the bolt apart and it was packed with sand ... I guess from sand blasting
confused.gif
. I also recently tried a Remington 700 Light Varmint at the gun store and the bolt was sticky when you opened it like it had a burr in the lug races or something.

The main reasons I went with the Tikka are stainless/synthetic construction and a REALLY fast twist (1-in-8"). Remington only offers stainless on their high dollar varmint rifles, and they only offer a 1-in-12 twist (except the PSS - it has a 1-in-9). I am looking for a light weight varmint hunter that will shoot heavy bullets.

Before I checked into the Tikka, I was looking at the Savage 16FSS. It has a 1-in-9 twist and a reputation for accuracy. The CZ 527 also offers a 1-in-9 twist but only in their varmint class ... the lighter 527s are 1-in-12. Also, CZ doesn't offer stainless. I do like their Varmint Kevlar though.

I'm glad to hear all the good things you Tikka owners have to say about them. I was a little leary of ordering something I hadn't seen or shot before.

[ 08-13-2004: Message edited by: Mike in NC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts