Tikka t3 lite 308 load

Andy92

Just picked up a tikka t3 lite 308 sighted it in with federal ammuntion with berger 168gr. Just wondering what load i should start with and a powder for the long range shooting/hunting? Never loaded for a 308, i was thinking to load some nosler accubond long range 168gr? Any start would be great thanks!

Shooting a 308, it's tough to beat factory federal GMM ammo. My tikka makes some of my custom rifles look silly. It's almost depressing. I put zero thought into it, grabbed the last few boxes off the shelf and started cloverleafing. Happy shooting..... a 308 can spoil you and ruin your desire to reload lol!

Are you intending to hunt with it? Target shoot? Here are a couple of loading hints that might get you started off well:

Use good brass- Lapua, norma, ADG, alpha, etc.
Find some Varget. Ive yet to find a 398 tgat does t shoot well woth Varget.
Depending on your twist, and intended purpose, here are some bullets that I've used woth lots of success:
Target- 155 Hornady ELDM, Hornady 168 AMAX, Horn 168 ELDM, 168, and 175 Sierra match king, a.d tipped match kings of same weight. 190 match king.
Hunting- 168 Berger classic hunter, 168 AMAX (deer sized animals), 178 ELDX.

Good luck.

varget is my favorite but i haven't seen any in a long time. the most accurate bullets iv tried are hornady interlocks flat or boattail 150's. speer 165 hot core or boattail. i shoot mine better with lighter loads, less recoil. i had some luck with imr 4166 and imr 4230. i pushed the 4166 and started getting primers blowing out sometimes, sometimes not. so i backed it way off and could shoot it way better at about 44.5 gr

Are you intending to hunt with it? Target shoot? Here are a couple of loading hints that might get you started off well:

Use good brass- Lapua, norma, ADG, alpha, etc.
Find some Varget. Ive yet to find a 398 tgat does t shoot well woth Varget.
Depending on your twist, and intended purpose, here are some bullets that I've used woth lots of success:
Target- 155 Hornady ELDM, Hornady 168 AMAX, Horn 168 ELDM, 168, and 175 Sierra match king, a.d tipped match kings of same weight. 190 match king.
Hunting- 168 Berger classic hunter, 168 AMAX (deer sized animals), 178 ELDX.

Good luck.
I have a 1:10 twist and what kind of varget powder? How many grains you using in those loads and at what velocities with the 168gr?

My T3 Lite prefers 150gn loads of most any sort and shoots them great. I've been using 46.1gn of Varget under a Hornady GMX or Federal Fusion bullet.

I use Hornady brass, fed210 primer, 175gr SMK HPBT, 44.5gr of Hodogen Varget. works very well. You may want to start a little lower for a powder charge just to be safe. For hunting I would use a 180gr Hornady interlock with varget again.

I have to say that my tikka 308 did not shoot well with Varget or any of the "traditional" 308 powders. Tried 4 or 5 and not much would group well. CFE 223 shot the best so far. 165 accubonds and 168 bergers. It is a fickle one.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.