Tikka T3 270 WSM load development

If anyone is looking for a cheaper "Target" bullet, for the .270's,.. Sierra makes an AWESOME 135 grain, Match King that, really "shoots" well and Bryan Litz says, it's over 500 BC if, I recall.

Darn that's hot the bullets staying together and getting good penetration on elk? I'm not familiar with cutting edge bullets I'm shooting 150 bergers just got some reloader 26 going to give it a try
Yeah the MTH are monolithic copper bullets, they hold together and penetrate well in my experience (one elk and a few mulies). I've found they also tend to shoot around 100fps faster than jacketed bullets of the same weight for some reason.

I'll bump this. Out of all the Tikkas I own the 270wsm was the worse shooting gun I owned until I tried Reloader 26. I'm getting 3230 FPS out of a stock T3x with 68gr of R26, Nosler brass, Fed 215m and 145gr ELDX

I'll bump this. Out of all the Tikkas I own the 270wsm was the worse shooting gun I owned until I tried Reloader 26. I'm getting 3230 FPS out of a stock T3x with 68gr of R26, Nosler brass, Fed 215m and 145gr ELDX

I will have to try this combo out, did you have to play w seating depth to get good accuracy w the 145 eld-x? I had a tough time with the 6.5 143 eld-x and it was sensitive to seating depth

Yeah the MTH are monolithic copper bullets, they hold together and penetrate well in my experience (one elk and a few mulies). I've found they also tend to shoot around 100fps faster than jacketed bullets of the same weight for some reason.
Have you tried the 140s? I'm curious why they're single feed only with how short they are compared to the heavier Berger offerings. I've heard of the monos getting more speed, but 100' is significant. This may cause me to look into Cutting Edge for my new 270SS build.

I haven't tried the 140s because of the single feed issue, and they need a 1:9 twist. I haven't looked at the specs for that bullet, but I assume its single feed because of the position of the driving band that make it so long when seated. That isn't present on the Bergers so you can seat more deeply.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried reloader 23 in the 270 wsm it worked great for me in a 280ai was getting close to 2900 with 58 grains with berger 168 classic hunters incredible accuracy

Does anyone have any real world, on game performance out of the ELD's? New to forum.
My son used a 150 Grain, ELD-X, 7mm-08 at 2,850 FPS in his Tikka T3X,.. killed his 6x6 big bodied, Bull Elk, at 250 yards. Bullet angled thru, rib cage behind "crease" to back Ham area, found bullet Mushroomed nicely, under the Hide (good penetration). Got my Elk with an 140 AccuBond in a .270 WSM at 3,150 FPS,.. CLOSE 65-70 yard shot ! Only lost a Pound or, two of Meat! Bullet went, just behind "crease" thru, Shoulder blade on far side (slight angle) minimal "Bloodshot" area (I was surprised to say the least !) Apparently a "tough" Bullet ! Both bullets, "worked" GREAT and shoot very well ( Sub MOA) to 650-700 Yards.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.