Tikka T3 25-06

threejones

I'm in the market for a 25-06. It'll be my daughters first deer rifle, (and my backup wolf rifle:D). I love Tikkas, the weight and size are perfect, but the 22in tube scares me, I'd prefer 26in. I know I'm gonna lose some speed, but is it really going to matter? This is my first venture into quarter bores, so any real world input would be helpful. I know I can always rebarrel, but I'd rather just add glass and go blast.

I have a Savage 25-06 with a 22' barrel. I use 59 Gn of Retumbo (max load) with 110 Accubonds and average 3060 FPS. Holds .5 MOA at 300 yards. I am happy with that.

Retumbo is a good powder for the 25-06 since the it is kind of overbore. I am probably blowing some powder out the barrel though. :rolleyes:

Look for a Browning A-Bolt II in .25-06. Some places will still have some leftover that are brand new for an awesome price. I believe it will have a 24" barrel on it, if I'm not mistaken... And the A-Bolt II's are fairly lightweight, as well. They're very accurate and reliable, too.

It wont hurt you a bit to go with the 22.5" I had one in a tikka now have one in a sako a7 both are the 22.5" I get 3200 FPS out of both with the 100 gr TTSX the extra inch and a half of a 24 will give you a little extra but in small bores an inch and a half will only net you so much.. I have killed out to 760 yards with no problem on a 22.5" tube. the handiness of it trumps the added velocity of a 24 to me.

You won't loose much more than 75 fps if that much with the 22" over a 24" barrel in the 25-06. A deer will not know the difference. If you shoot a few deer with that 25-06 it just may become YOUR primary rifle. :D They kill that well. I have a custom 26" #6 SS Shilen barrel Remington action on a HS precision stock 25-06 that has killed about as many deer as black tongue has. I love 117 Sierra Pro Hunters, accurate and deadly.

you won't loose much more than 75 fps if that much with the 22" over a 24" barrel in the 25-06. A deer will not know the difference. If you shoot a few deer with that 25-06 it just may become your primary rifle. :d they kill that well. I have a custom 26" #6 ss shilen barrel remington action on a hs precision stock 25-06 that has killed about as many deer as black tongue has. I love 117 sierra pro hunters, accurate and deadly.

exactly

You boys are tellin me what I want to hear! Hey Mike, did you ever try the 117 pro-hunters? Seems like that's the round of choice for the 25-06, plus anything heavier that'll buck the wind well is HUGE for me. Seems like every time I head to eastern MT, the damned wind pushes me there for free... and then doesn't want me to leave... Last years buck was shot in a steady 25-30 mph cross wind. On the up side, I didn't have to worry about him hearing me from 300yds away:D.

You boys are tellin me what I want to hear! Hey Mike, did you ever try the 117 pro-hunters? Seems like that's the round of choice for the 25-06, plus anything heavier that'll buck the wind well is HUGE for me. Seems like every time I head to eastern MT, the damned wind pushes me there for free... and then doesn't want me to leave... Last years buck was shot in a steady 25-30 mph cross wind. On the up side, I didn't have to worry about him hearing me from 300yds away:D.
Try the 110 Nosler Accubonds...Phenomenal for whitetials. I shoot them and Berger 115 VLD's out of my .257 Wby. And I will be shooting both out of my Sendero SF .25-06 Ackley Improved once I finish getting it built... All I need now is final smith work, and finding an original Sendero SF stock, and she'll be ready to drop 'em.

I have an Abolt II in 25/06 with the BOSS that I picked up for the wife to hunt with...put to gether a wicked accurate load of H4831SC pushing a 115gr VLD that is a SLEDGEHAMMER on Pa whitetails...don't let her know, but I've been known to carry that nice light little rifle more than a few days myself!

I have a Savage 25-06 with a 22' barrel. I use 59 Gn of Retumbo (max load) with 110 Accubonds and average 3060 FPS. Holds .5 MOA at 300 yards. I am happy with that.

Retumbo is a good powder for the 25-06 since the it is kind of overbore. I am probably blowing some powder out the barrel though. :rolleyes:

I too have TIKKA on the Brain. either is 25-06 or 270. and after reading this and other threads, so much is said about the 25-06 needing a 24" barrel to achieve its potential, I began to wonder about the 30.06? Does it need a 24" barrell also?

Sorry not meaning to hijack this thread.

I own a tikka 25-06 ss. I bought it to use as my deer hunting/backpacking specific rifle. I have loaded the 110 accubonds, 115 bergers, and 100 ttsx. With no load work up at all, all three will shoot 3/4" or less @100 (4 shot groups). 53.3grns of RL-22.

I chose the ttsx this year just because of a discussion I had with my hunting partner earlier in the year about less than ideal shot opportunities. After seeing some pretty explosive results with the VLDs, the though or a quartering away shot or straight on shot was very concerning. Coincidentally I ended up finding a monster of pure blacktail buck this year and he left me short of on ideal shot. Lets just say I was glad I went with the ttsx because the bullet traveled the length of his body, even having broke the shoulder, and did very minimal damage to the insides. Tuned out to be a really clean carcass.

So through my unnecessary rant, I'm just trying to say Yes the tikka in 25-06 is a formidable weapon and will likely kill just about anything with the right bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.