Tikka Superlite vs X-bolt Mountain Pro

mwarizona

I have been reading the forums, watching reviews, etc and would like some advice. I am looking to buy a new .300 WM rifle for Elk. I am looking for a lighter gun as my trips are in the backcountry of Idaho. I am debating between the Tikka T3x Superlite vs the new X-bolt mountain pro. The price difference is quite significant. $800 vs $2400. I have a Tikka T3x 6.5 which I love but I am concerned about the Tikka for .300 as I have heard for this caliber the accuracy and recoil isn't great. What is you opinion? The Brown X-bolts seem to be great quality, but worth the extra money? I have seen people adding muzzle breaks to the Tikkas which could resolve the recoil issue. thanks for the help.

The Tikkas are a fantastic value for the money. I have no idea of your personal financial situation, but the Tikkas are really good. The X-Bolt is maybe a hair better. If spending the difference between the two makes zero impact in your life, then I'd buy them both, shoot them, and sell whichever rifle doesn't shoot or feel as good as the other. If buying them both to compare makes you twitch, buy the Tikka and you'll be very happy.

My first rifle is a browning 270 that works well and I'll never sell but I'd do a Tikka in 300 wsm OR wm any day.
If you go 300 wm just be aware that you will be cramped for mag room . if you wish to shoot something like a 215 Berger , it just doesn't fit right. 200 eldx and shorter does work tho and certainly kills.
The new t3x 300 wm now comes with a 10 twist barrel. I think ,but am not sure , that the 300 wsm still is a 11 twist and will shoot most 200 grain and down bullets very well. Maybe 208s as well but I'm not positive. The barrels, action and trigger of a Tikka is incredible for a factory rifle.

My wife has a Tikka 300win superlite.
It shoots 1/2moa hand loads from mag. I have never shot any factory ammo in it. It likes 165 accubond's and 160 hammer the best. With the 1:11 twist some say 180's and 200's. Shoot good in there rifle. Not in hers. I have a hell's canyon speed. I like the Tikka trigger and action better. Scope mounts are easier to find for Tikka locally. Browning mounts are limited in my area. Only thing I like better about the browning is it's threaded and the mag has a little more room for longer bullets. The Tikka has a small box mag and a deep throat. It will shoot tighter groups single feed.(bullets 250k longer than mag) so it really a give and take. I'd go Tikka. But if you recoil sensitive that maybe a issue. The recoil is that bad but it's not a range day fun day gun.

Very unimpressed with the x-bolt I have. Don't care for the overall feel of the action, and accuracy has been poor with the few factory loads I've tried. Just picked up a Tikka that I've yet to shoot. Action feels great though.

i have several of both.
2xbolt in 6.5 variations.
4 Tikkas: 1 in 300wm, 1 in 7rm, 2 in 6.5CM.
i like them both but i didnt pay 2400 for either xbolt nor both combined.
at the time of purchase of the xbolts - neither cartridges i bought were available in the tikka model.
ive been very happy with both. the one main difference each has is- xbolt has a bolt release button which maintains the safety on while bolt can cycle but trigger locked. but tikka also has a bolt lock when on safe. i like that feature on these.
the browning has threaded barrel end. tikka doesnt have it (on models i have, save one) but tikka does have threaded option, just not on superlite. although you can have a brake added by a gunsmith. my friend with a 7rm superlite had a brake added.

recoil in the 300 and in the 7rm superlite is significant, but i think manageable. im not large by any means.

tikkas model with the threaded barrel will rival the cost of a browning HCLR.

boils down to you reviewing all the options/models that each manufacturer has out there and comparing the pricing and making the best choice for you, your situation and your wallet.

My experience:
I had the older model Tikka. A tack driver. Should have never sold it to a good buddy. Hind sight is always 20-20.
Shot:
Barnes factory 165s 3 into 5/8". Handloads 3 less than 1/2" & 5 into 7/8".
Hornady factory 200 ELDX 3 into 7/8".
Nosler 200 Partitons handloads 3 into 5/16"!
Swift 200 A-frame handloads 3 into 7/8".

When I fired 5 rounds the all groups opened. "Thin barrelitis" I'm sure. I put a Bell and Carlson stock on it that took care of the recoil issues with the original stock.

I guess you have ruled out two other American made options namely Ruger and the T C, both are threaded and are great shooters.

Recent Posts