Tikka rifle questions

EE_Reloader

I own a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM and I was thinking of converting it to shoot 6.5 PRC. From my understand Tikka only makes their actions in a single size, please correct me if I am wrong. I would need a new magnum bolt, new magazine and a new barrel but is that all? How do ensure that I can load my projectiles long if I have to? Is this even worth doing? Would it be better to just get a different action, should I go with a long action instead? This is my first time ever trying to work on rifle and I will get a competent gunsmith but any input would be greatly appreciated or a push in the right direction. I'm a complete noob and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you would need the bottom metal for the mag, and a bolt stop.

I'll bet once you add it all up and a smith and shipping if your not spinning the new barrel, your not too far from the cost of a new rifle.

I'd start by determining the cost of the barrel and the bolt you want and judge it from there. Those 2 items ain't cheap. Your probably $400 for the bolt , and 300-600 for a barrel depending on manf.

Last edited:
I realize it would be cheaper for me to put the barrel on but I've never done it and I really don't want to mess it up. I hear you can damage the action on Tikka rifles if you dont remove it correctly.

Do you plan to ever shoot 6.5CM again or are you all in on the new caliber?

If you want to still shoot CM then get another rifle/action.

Otherwise converting isn't a huge deal with the Tikka. You could modify your bolt stop or get a new one. You'd need to figure out the mags/bottom metal.