Tikka recoil lug swap??

emmagator

Anybody swap out the Tikka t3 recoil lug for a different style? Does this affect the rifles ability to shoot well? I was thinking if the recoil lug was swapped to a more common design, that it would open up more options as far as aftermarket stocks. Is this correct?

I have had 2 rifles built on the older 595/695 actions. The gunsmith made a new stainless recoil lug that also incorporated the front action pillar. This was then all bedded into the stock. Don't know if this would open up other stock options, but it certainly is an improvement over the factory arrangement

I have a T3 stainless with .270 Weatherby 26" Schnider P5. I was having trouble holding consistent groups. Had my Smith remove the lug and weld an oversize lug in it's place and re-bed. Consistently holds well under 1/2" now. Problem solved.

One option is to install a Remmy style recoil lug when one rebarrels.
The stock must then be re-worked.
The T3 recoil lug is not the best design around.
edi

It may not be the best but imo it does very well, on all the Tikka T3's Lite's I have had apart, every barrel fit good and tight on the lug and required a good push to install back in the stock. I believe the T3 is a great lightweight rifle and is well thought out and needs very little improvment (longer barrel options would be nice), the stock is decent and seams to do well holding the lug in place. These guns shoot from the factory and have never had a problem getting one to shoot with minimal effort on reloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts