Tikka problem anyone ever see this

jmgstr

Tikka t3 300 win mag 72 rounds through the rifle opened the action one day & the back end of the bolt dovetail broke off the rifle hasbeen babied since I purchased it New got a hold of Tikka customer service & they said it's past warranty & they won't do anything about it even though it's clearly a manufacturing defect. A replacement bolt is 400.00 lol I only pay 700.00 for the rifle

Attachments

• IMG_20221031_131933.jpg
    IMG_20221031_131933.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20221031_132145.jpg
    IMG_20221031_132145.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 208
I'd ship it to Tikka ( Beretta USA ? ) with, a "Nice" Letter, explaining that tho, an Older gun that, ONLY 4 Bx's of Ammo went, thru the Rifle.
You might be surprised, IF,.. the "Right People", .. SEE,. IT !
I Doubt that, Tikka / Beretta wants, that kind of,.. "Bad Press" ,.. IMO
Was that Ammo used, Factory stuff ??

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Is customer service through Beretta USA? I had an issue with a Sako and my email to Beretta went unanswered.
Beretta bought out Sako a few years back, customer service went to ****. I think quality is starting to suffer also. I Tried to get a warranty dealt with also, almost as bad as my dealings with S&W. Just my 2 cents

I've seen that before, however - not from normal use.

Typically, it's a result of extreme overpressure condition (Stuck bolt) - then home users try to beat the bolt open with a mallet.
Yep. That bolt handle sliding into a dovetail in the bolt body with such a small amount of metal remaining on the back "ring" is a weak point in their design- esp for magnums.

Dunno, might be worth a shot to try to tig that back in place since it's shot anyway- and while I was at it I'd run a bead along the bottom of the bolt handle to the bolt body to strengthen that joint. That way all the load won't be transferred to the dovetail and minimize the risk of it breaking off again.

I'd ship it to Tikka ( Beretta USA ? ) with, a "Nice" Letter, explaining that tho, an Older gun that, ONLY 4 Bx's of Ammo went, thru the Rifle.
You might be surprised, IF,.. the "Right People", .. SEE,. IT !
I Doubt that, Tikka / Beretta wants, that kind of,.. "Bad Press" ,.. IMO
Was that Ammo used, Factory stuff ??
Yep factory Hornady & remington