Tikka or Browning

hugetacticles

Looking for a good hunting rifle. Probably will never shoot game a distances over 500 yards. I am liking the 30.06. My question is for those that have or have shot them. What do you like better. The Tikka t3 varmint or the browning xbolt stalker or long range stalker? I have shot the xbolt hunter and love it, i just don't want a wood stock. I like the idea of a little heavier gun, I'm a wuss when it comes to recoil. I have spoken to 3 different smiths, all tried steering me away from a savage. That is why I have it narrowed down to the xbolt and the T3 varmint.

The newer Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range rifles in 7mm calibers are coming with 1:8 twist barrels now. So, honestly, if you ever plan on doing any LR shooting/plinking at the range, or eventually jump up to some LR hunting, that's the route I'd go in 7mm RemMag or 7mm-08. A lot of folks underestimate the 7mm-08, but inside of 800 yards, it's a pretty impressive round with the right bullets. And on steel/paper out to 1,000-1,200 yards it can hold it's own. It also is very light on recoil compared to the .30-06 you're looking at.

Another good option for you, would be a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .280 Ackley Improved. Light on recoil, but packs a good punch. And whether you handload or shoot factory ammo, it's a great option given that Nosler makes .280 AI brass and factory ammo for it.

Looking for a good hunting rifle. Probably will never shoot game a distances over 500 yards. I am liking the 30.06. My question is for those that have or have shot them. What do you like better. The Tikka t3 varmint or the browning xbolt stalker or long range stalker? I have shot the xbolt hunter and love it, i just don't want a wood stock. I like the idea of a little heavier gun, I'm a wuss when it comes to recoil. I have spoken to 3 different smiths, all tried steering me away from a savage. That is why I have it narrowed down to the xbolt and the T3 varmint.

I don't own them but I've shot and have done load development for a friend on his Tikka T3 and Browning X-bolt stalker. The Tikka shot extremely well over the Browning. Both action are smooth and felt good when held but I prefer the Tikka overall between the two. This might boil down to personal preference.

I have however own quite a few Savage rifles and their out of the box accuracy is hard to beat - best bang for your buck. In addition they are by far the most DIY friendly, and for that you'll never have to visit those 3 smiths you talked to ... and they know it, just saying. :cool:;):D

My father has an x bolt long range stalker in 300 win. Very slick bolt, kicks like a ***** cat. Well, more than a boss BAR(what isn't), but very little for a bolt gun.

The trigger isn't as good as some other triggers I have shot but not bad, timney is making an x bolt trigger now.

i have never held a tikka, but have heard good things.

My boss asked me a month ago, to find him the most accurate factory ammo for two of his guns, which I happily agreed to do! One was a Tikka 270 wsm and the other was a Browning Hell Canyon in 300 WSM. After shooting them a bit, I would take the Tikka hands down. I won't put too much stock in the accuracy scale as it was factory ammo, and they were different calibers, but the Tikka shot fantastic (1/2"- 3/4") with multiple ammo brands, and I struggled to get sub 1" with the Browning, but finally found one that was. Both were smooth actions, but I felt the trigger in the Tikka was superior. Overall I guess I just liked the Tikka better. Both were great rifles though, and I doubt you could go wrong either way!

I'd recommend the Tikka. The 3 I know of are great shooters. My TAC A1 I just got in 6.5 shot a 0.44 4-shot group @100yds on first outing with bulk Hornady ammo. If you can handle them side to side that may make the choice easy.

Plenty of good prices on the T3X Ultralite options at Whittakers right now.

I own both ... prefer the fit/finish of the browning. But, the Tikka has better accuracy.

If you buy the Tikka with the plastic stock, you may want to consider an after-market stock upgrade. They are really nice guns but the stock is not high quality.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies so far. Exactly what I'm looking for. For the guys who own or shoot the tikka is the varmint worth the extra or is the lite the way to go?

I had bought a t3 and it shot terrible. New barrel, stock and trigger spring and it shoots good now. Could have bought 3 brownings for what this tikka cost me.

Gd2XHzw.jpg

I own the T3 Lite in 30-06 it shoots factory Winchester 165 grain bullets sub moa at 200 yards. Do not own a browning so can not comment on it but I would recommend the Tikka.

If you want a heavier gun and don't like recoil, the tikka varmit is the way to go. The downside of 30 cal tikkas is they put an 11twist barrel on them which limits you to 180gr bullets or lighter. If you're okay with that, that's the way I'd go

The .30-06 sounds nice until you want to practice with it for 1/2 hr. Then it's not so nice, and you'll be flinching after a few rounds. I downgraded to the 7mm-08, and I'm very happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.