Tikka or Browning

Maybe I just bite the bullet and go 300 wm and break it? Then all my needs are covered. Can you break any barrel or does it have to be heavier in order to put one on?

Maybe I just bite the bullet and go 300 wm and break it? Then all my needs are covered. Can you break any barrel or does it have to be heavier in order to put one on?
Basically yes you put brakes on any barrel. There is some issues with threading pencil barrels, but the simplest is to buy a rifle with a threaded barrel

X bolt long range stalker comes with a brake on it.

As I said, I don't think it kicks hard at all. You can for sure tell the brake is working standing near it!

But, my first hunting gun was a single shot slug gun so not terribly recoil sensitive.

If you're scared of 300 a braked 7mag would do well across North America and have less recoil.
I don't want to steer you every which way, it's likely you can do anything you'll ever want with a 308/3006 with cheaper ammunition.

A .300 Win Mag per my #39 response would be an excellent choice. Load it with 215 Berger and you're golden. An effective muzzle "brake" will give your shoulder a "break".

Check out this 58 lbs 8-year old girl shooting a .300 Win Mag with muzzle brake ...

and another 73 lbs 8-yr old girl shooting a .300 WSM with muzzle brake loaded with 210 Berger ...

I would fit right in with those two little girls. Kind of like when I have to board my 90 lb lab with lap dogs so she's not intimidated. In all seriousness that looks like the ticket. I am starting to realize more and more how difficult it is to have one gun for multiple settings. I'm starting to wonder how how I will hunt In the woods with hearing protection in. I know they make the walkers game ears and products similar but I hate that I can't tell where the sound is coming from. I wear regular muffs with the 30.06 while I'm hunting and I have enough time to put them on. If I had a 300 WM with a break there would be no "if I had time." I would HAVE to have them on which may limit me in the woods if something happens quick or it's really cold out. I do really like the idea of having that 300 WM with the break. Do any of you hunt with a break in the woods? If so how do you handle the noise?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.