Tikka or Browning

I'll vote tikka, having owned and still own several. They are very smooth, with excellent triggers out of the box. Always had no problem finding good loads for them, they all shoot great. The aftermarket support is growing for them, so the sky will soon be the limit.

Heavier bullets need more/faster twist to stabilize. Twist rates are in inches per revolution so the lower number means it's twisting faster(less distance). Over 180 1:10 is going to be advisable over 11

Can you expand on this a little? Is lower twist rate better for heavier bullets?
Slower twist rate is better for lighter bullets. The heaviest you will stabilize well will be 180gr 30 cal bullets. If you're high enough elevation you might be able to use 200gr bullets but I wouldn't have my heart set on that.
A 10 twist barrel works well for 200-215gr bullets

Will 180 work for elk? I have done a little research and it seems as though some say it is and some say you need heavier.

I have had a few of both (still own a T3 in .308 and an Xbolt in .223) and would say overall fit and finish definitely goes to the Browning, but trigger goes to the T3. My .223 Xbolt shoots incredibly well even with a pretty heavy trigger pull.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Yes a good 180 grain bullet will absolutely kill an elk.

180 is perfect for 30-06 in my opinion.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. My plan is to get a round I can use for deer and elk. I won't be putting 2000 rounds through this every year. My though was to get a cartridge that works well for both, utilize my practice time, and become proficient with that cartridge. Maybe this is a rookie thought from someone who doesn't have a ton of experience with rifles. Any input would be appreciated. Again, it will be 99% for deer with the hope of elk hunting or moose at some point. If I put $1500-$2000 into a rifle I just don't think I would be able to justify having to do it over in the off chance i actually get to go on an elk hunt. Again, maybe I'm just not thinking about this in the right way.

A 180gr bullet from a 30-06 will kill an elk very well. It is a great all around round that should fit what you're wanting

I shoot a Browning BAR in 30-06 for whitetail deer every year. I dont find it to be too much. Your criteria seem to be pretty simple; a great shooting rifle that can be an all around hunting rig.

I see no issue with that. Quite a few cartridges will do that, you can go to 7mm-08 or 308 if the 30-06 recoil is too much. Or just put a brake on it.

Done, Tikka T3x superlight, 30-06, run up to 180"s in lead core or a good quality 165 copper. It'll kill what you shoot with it and won't break the bank. You'll have a nice light rifle for mountains if it ever happens and a good fast handling deer rifle for the rest of the time.

As far as the recoil goes I was shooting the Barnes tsx bt in the 168 grain for deer the past few years out of a browning xbolt hunter and the recoil was not bad at all. It looks like the tikka may be a bit lighter than the gun I was borrowing. I know a lighter gun and heavier bullet will add to the recoil, I just don't know how much it will.

or if you load, you could go my route for deer. I'll be loading my 300WM with 152gr Hammer bullets for deer at smoking speeds for flat out killing performance. I'll have less recoil, excellent point and shoot ability, and it'll flatten any deer it hits.

As far as the recoil goes I was shooting the Barnes tsx bt in the 168 grain for deer the past few years out of a browning xbolt hunter and the recoil was not bad at all. It looks like the tikka may be a bit lighter than the gun I was borrowing. I know a lighter gun and heavier bullet will add to the recoil, I just don't know how much it will.

If you like Barnes bullets you can use that 168 on elk just fine

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts