Tikka ctr 6.5 cm to 6.5 prc

Joefrazell

Did a bit of research and people are saying the mag for ctr will work with the prc but that it's close. I was wondering if anyone has done it? I would rebarrel. Im wondering how many rounds would fit in the ctr mag? I'm thinking this would be the best route when time to rebarrel.

I don't have a CTR mag right here to measure but I think they are 2.950. Meaning it's gonna be real tight depending on bullet. Personally I would want more mag length then that for a PRC. By the time you either buy a new bolt or get your opened up you might be better off to just buy a T3x lite with a magnum bolt face and use the factory mags from it. 300 wm or 7rm tikka mags feed the prc really well and you won't ever run out of room with any bullet.

It looks like Tikka will be chambering 6.5 prc real soon so I'm assuming a blocked out magazine for them is also going to be available. Hopefully they make it long enough but if not the long action magnum mags feed just fine.

Really trying to stay away from doing it on a long action. I know this may limit my case capacity a bit with the longer bullets. Is love to run a 156 at 2850 or a 140 at 2950. If be happy there.

8BC125BC-EE08-4CDB-B6E1-89B283D5827C.jpeg There is a long action stop Vs a short action bolt stop with both bolts all the way back.

Did a bit of research and people are saying the mag for ctr will work with the prc but that it's close. I was wondering if anyone has done it? I would rebarrel. Im wondering how many rounds would fit in the ctr mag? I'm thinking this would be the best route when time to rebarrel.
FYSA, when you re-barrel, you will need to address the difference in bolt face, .473" for the 6.5 CM vs. .532" for the 6.5 PRC.

There isn't a weight difference at all. It's the exact same action. The only difference is what bolt stop is used it takes 30 seconds to turn a long action into a short action and vice versa.

With the price of replacement bolts IMO it's not worth it. Trade your action for a magnum BF when the time comes, or try and trade bolts. With LRI offering replacement bolts now hopefully we see more bolts on the market at more reasonable prices. Right now a Tikka bolt is about the same price as just buying a T3x lite. Or just wait and buy a Tikka PRC when they hit the market soon.

Maybe it's best to just build from scratch and keep the creedmoor. Just thought it would be cool to have a prc ctr

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.