Tikka COAL and Lower Metal Adjustments

Brasshole

I hunted for years with .308 and 7mm and love both cartridges. I wanted a .300 WM and got sold on a Tikka T3x. I only have a box of shells through this gun and have had mixed results with accuracy. As a reloader, I was also disappointed to find out that I couldn't shoot rounds like the 212 ELDX because of limited magazine size to accept anything over 3.34". Has anyone had experience modifying the lower metal on their Tikka T3 to be able to accept larger mags to accommodate COALS up to 3.7? Anyone have experience with Browning or Christianson Arms .300 WM platforms and how do they compare?

Good question. So a lot of people will tell you a tikka isn't a good choice for a long action. I ran a 30 nosler on one and don't regret it. Works fine for everything I need including 210 accubonds and 220 eldx. I wish someone made a flush fit ai mag. My only complaint.

Good question. So a lot of people will tell you a tikka isn't a good choice for a long action. I ran a 30 nosler on one and don't regret it. Works fine for everything I need including 210 accubonds and 220 eldx. I wish someone made a flush fit ai mag. My only complaint.
Excellent news. Thanks. Im running 200 grain Federal Terminal Ascents right now which are factory. Plan to reload some 200 grain ELDX and then work on replacing the bottom metal.

This is a 210 accubond in my ai mag in my tikka action.

Attachments

• A33F9F73-71B2-4BE0-B7E9-FB8B18CD1CFC.jpeg
    A33F9F73-71B2-4BE0-B7E9-FB8B18CD1CFC.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 141
I like the design of the red snake but I think you're limited to 3.5 with that one. I used the mountain tactical. I had to ask the gunsmith to shave a bit off the trigger housing and polish the feed ramp but feeds solid.

I like the design of the red snake but I think you're limited to 3.5 with that one. I used the mountain tactical. I had to ask the gunsmith to shave a bit off the trigger housing and polish the feed ramp but feeds solid.
I know this is an old thread. I am trying to do this, have gotten the trigger milled, and still having a bit of an issue with the feeding of a 3.570 COAL. What did "polish the feed ramp" entail? Seems that my nosed are getting caught. Any help is appreciated.

I ordered a bottom metal from Atlasworxs out of Australia for my tikka build. I load 195s in my 7 rem mag and have plenty of room in the standard 3.715 AICS mags. I had to do a little bit of trimming to get it to fit in my AG composites stock but nothing too dramatic. I went with them because the bottom metal was flush, the mag release was in the back and they offer a low profile mag release tang that contours to the trigger guard instead of hanging out there like a sore thumb. as with anything there are always small fitment modifications that are needed with custom stuff but nothing a little file cant take care of.