Tikka...but which one

Dakota24

Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum but have been reading it nonstop over the past few weeks. I have been shooting all my life but I am looking at getting into hunting/long range and want a solid rifle in .308/.270/7mm-08 that gives me flexibility to take large game like elk and still fun/precise enough to shoot long range. I want a Tikka and have it narrowed down to two options, the CTR and the T3x Lite. I had my heart set on the CTR but there's a catch—I'm a lefty and sadly the CTR LH isn't imported into the US, I called beretta today. Do I go with the CTR right handed and just deal with it or go with the Lite LH? I've read some things about the barrel of the Lite not being as accurate and durable as the CTR. Thanks all!

Just for basic info , we have been taking elk every season with a 6.5 for 30 + years. They have never let us down. Have mainly used the Barnes mono bullets. As to the model of Tikka I can only recommend that it be stainless . We have seen blue steel rifle's rust over night in hunting camp. The one & only Tikka I have is a stainless T3 in 6.5x55, 22" bbl. My Savage & Winchester 6.5's are also deadly. The elk never know the difference.

Get the lefty version; T3x Lite in 7mm-08. And I agree with @Hespco, stainless for a hunting gun. You'll be happy. Every choice leaves something behind. You can't agonize over it. Figure out what matters MOST to you and be sure you get that feature. Even if it costs more. You only regret the extra expense for a few weeks. But not getting what you really wanted? You regret that forever.

Last edited:
You asked this exact question earlier... and I gave you some options for good pre fit barrels in that thread.

One question I didn't ask was: Why did you have your heart set on the CTR? Was it just the barrel contour?

I was considering getting a CTR and some Google searches of forums had CTR owners saying they prefer their T3xs for hunting. I've got a stainless 6.5 Creedmoor T3x and I am very pleased with it.

I own a discontinued stainless steel synthetic Tikka T3 Lite RMEF edition in 300wsm and it is not only the most accurate rifle I have ever owned it was the easiest to do load development for. Essentially every reload I have fed it was a MOA load if not better, including the one and only factory load I put through it.
I have two friends who after watching me shoot it at the range and the groups I was getting went out later that week and bought my T3's replacement the T3x. They are happy beyond measure with their T3x's. Both are chambered in 300wm.
I'm sure there is a Tikka T3 owner out there that is unhappy with his rifle, I just have never read about one saying so. I my opinion for under $800 you can not beat a Tikka T3. Best guess is your odds of getting a tack driving T3 is closer to 100% than 90%
I got an unbelievable deal on it I believe because #1 the stock has a rather unattractive camo finish likely the least popular camo Tikka ever used and #2 everyone was closing out the T3 lites to make room for the T3x.
As much as I absolutely LOVE the beauty of the blued steel and walnut if my 3 JM stamped 336c's and my one Encore 209x50 and they really are beautiful, especially the Encore's black walnut and deep lustrous bluing is a combination of beauty and elegance, if I could I would have bought all three in stainless as it is a constant battle to keep all of them from rusting.

Where as my stainless T3, Savages, Knight Elites and Rugers I give not a concern to if they get rained on.
Last deer season I was hunting with my SST/SYN T3 and my boys had the Marlin 336c's and we got caught in an totally expected drizzle as the weather predicted less than 20% chance or precipitation.
I ended up going through and entire 16oz spray can of Remoil cleaning the 336c's. I thankfully ALWAYs have a can of Remoil or Breakfree in my hunting gear every time I go on any hunt gun or bow.
I felt extraordinarily fortunate neither of the Marlin's rusted.

I only buy blued firearms if they are not going to be used for big game hunting as is the case with my 22lr pistols and rifles or I have no other choice as when I bought the Marlins and the Encore.

Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum but have been reading it nonstop over the past few weeks. I have been shooting all my life but I am looking at getting into hunting/long range and want a solid rifle in .308/.270/7mm-08 that gives me flexibility to take large game like elk and still fun/precise enough to shoot long range. I want a Tikka and have it narrowed down to two options, the CTR and the T3x Lite. I had my heart set on the CTR but there's a catch—I'm a lefty and sadly the CTR LH isn't imported into the US, I called beretta today. Do I go with the CTR right handed and just deal with it or go with the Lite LH? I've read some things about the barrel of the Lite not being as accurate and durable as the CTR. Thanks all!

What does long range mean to you?

Do you reload?

I am a Tikka fan boy. As noted above, the 4 I own are the easiest rifles I've ever had to find excellent loads for. One comment. In my experience light rifles take some extra effort to shoot well at range. I've seen shooters who are accustomed to heavier rifles really struggle to shoot light rifles as accurately. With that warning, I'd absolutely go the T3x route. As far as cartridge choice is concerned, I've become a huge fan of the 270wsm.

I have a L.H. tx3 lite stainless in 6.5 and I love it. I shoot Hornady precision ELDX 143's, if I do my part it will shoot .25 to .5 out to 300yd. and .5 to .75 out to 400, plus it only weighs a little over 7lbs. with scope sling and a 5rd. after market clip. And before things went crazy from covid-19 i got for $700 on gunbroker.

A t3x can't be beat. The 308 is a great caliber. Every one makes it . And you have a lot of bullet weights and bullet styles to choose from. The rifle will do its job. Put more in your optics !!!!! If you can't see it you can't shoot or take it!!!!!!!

Wife's 17+ year old tikka in 7mm08 is still a great shooter. Loading 162 gr eldx with 4166 @ 2640+ fps
Here's a 5 shot group @ 100yds and one impatiently jerked trigger 🤪
695EBF6D-3F40-452D-BE32-1DB1F4522A9B.jpeg

Change your mind and order a Weatherby leftie!

I was considering getting a CTR and some Google searches of forums had CTR owners saying they prefer their T3xs for hunting. I've got a stainless 6.5 Creedmoor T3x and I am very pleased with it.
Have same. Like it a lot. Used it 2017. Shot a muley buck, 3 doe whitetail and a doe lope. All good one shot kills. 300, 412, 442 and 187. Haven't shot it since.