Tikka...but which one

Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum but have been reading it nonstop over the past few weeks. I have been shooting all my life but I am looking at getting into hunting/long range and want a solid rifle in .308/.270/7mm-08 that gives me flexibility to take large game like elk and still fun/precise enough to shoot long range. I want a Tikka and have it narrowed down to two options, the CTR and the T3x Lite. I had my heart set on the CTR but there's a catch—I'm a lefty and sadly the CTR LH isn't imported into the US, I called beretta today. Do I go with the CTR right handed and just deal with it or go with the Lite LH? I've read some things about the barrel of the Lite not being as accurate and durable as the CTR. Thanks all!
Anthony Ward of Crown Ridge Barrel Works can do a tikka prefit. He has done two prefit and one shouldered barrel that I have worked with, one of which is a benchmark prefit. He does good work and I recommend him.

Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum but have been reading it nonstop over the past few weeks. I have been shooting all my life but I am looking at getting into hunting/long range and want a solid rifle in .308/.270/7mm-08 that gives me flexibility to take large game like elk and still fun/precise enough to shoot long range. I want a Tikka and have it narrowed down to two options, the CTR and the T3x Lite. I had my heart set on the CTR but there's a catch—I'm a lefty and sadly the CTR LH isn't imported into the US, I called beretta today. Do I go with the CTR right handed and just deal with it or go with the Lite LH? I've read some things about the barrel of the Lite not being as accurate and durable as the CTR. Thanks all!
Again I don't want to drag a dead horse, think about it... :) So what's is your definition of long-range when you're hunting? Say, for Elk that might help as to caliber everything else small will get the idea. Rifle wise for me it would be all about weight. Just asking good luck.

Ya if your gonna rebarrel it then buy the cheapest one you can find with the correct bolt face or just buy an action. The factory 300 wsm is a 11 twist.
Berger stability calculator for 1:11 twist at sea level using the 190 grain VLD at 2800 FPS is still 1.65 (stable) so unless you are going significantly heavier than 190 you shouldn't have any problems.

Im not sure I would say the lite isn't as accurate, it's just a totally different rifle then the CTR and most (pretty much everybody) isn't going to shoot a very lightweight rifle as well as something with some weight to it. The Lite is simply harder to drive.

Bingo, but all the same if it were me I'd go with the T3 Lite for a hunt rig. Friend of mine rebarreled one to 284 Win. Papua brass, plenty of gas what's not to like! Add a 3-9 or 10X SWFA and rock on and go fill up arks!

Left hand t3x Hunter would get you a good rifle today in a solid wood stock and an opportunity to build just about whatever you want tomorrow.

Dont let tomorrow be your driver...if it is, step out and buy a custom action.....you'll be glad you did.

Thank you all for the responses. Here's an update: went to a local Tikka dealer to snag a lefty 30-06 but it was sold right before my eyes. They had no other lefties other than a 300wm and wasn't sure that was necessary/ideal for a first hunting rifle, especially at closer ranges. I was told it would be another 6-10 months before they get more because Finland shut down because of covid. Called every Tikka dealer within 200 miles and all said the same thing. Talked with some people and they highly recommended the Christensen Arms Mesa. They have a lefty on order in 308 so I'm having them hold it and I'm considering that option. Heard they have improved significantly since some issues of years past. The triggertech trigger and muzzle brake are appealing for sure. Thoughts?

Again I don't want to drag a dead horse, think about it... :) So what's is your definition of long-range when you're hunting? Say, for Elk that might help as to caliber everything else small will get the idea. Rifle wise for me it would be all about weight. Just asking good luck.
I want something that can take an elk out to ~400 yards but still be able to shoot some longer range shots on targets, say 800 yards. I'm figuring a 308 for the first rifle and then 300wm next if I want to be able to reach a little further on big game. I'm just worried about the potential of a basketball-sized exit wound on a deer within 200 yards with a 300wm...

I want something that can take an elk out to ~400 yards but still be able to shoot some longer range shots on targets, say 800 yards. I'm figuring a 308 for the first rifle and then 300wm next if I want to be able to reach a little further on big game. I'm just worried about the potential of a basketball-sized exit wound on a deer within 200 yards with a 300wm...
I'm thinking the .308 Win would mostly work just fine in the 400-500 yards hunts for both Elk and big Deer, but... if you're planning on taking a poke at a bull Elk at say 800 yards you might want to think about something like the .300 WM Most shooters that I know, and who are reloaders would take the .300 WM and if they were worried about meat damage'..., stay, hunting Whitetail in the thick bush... they'd use a reduced velocity load which works just fine. Perhaps you might start thinking of reloading'..., if you don't, it's not hard to start especially for one cartridge with something like LEE's Classic Loader kit, that would give you the fixability you needed and want without a lot of costs, actually, it's quite cheap to do.., Good luck, good hunting.

Thank you all for the responses. Here's an update: went to a local Tikka dealer to snag a lefty 30-06 but it was sold right before my eyes. They had no other lefties other than a 300wm and wasn't sure that was necessary/ideal for a first hunting rifle, especially at closer ranges. I was told it would be another 6-10 months before they get more because Finland shut down because of covid. Called every Tikka dealer within 200 miles and all said the same thing. Talked with some people and they highly recommended the Christensen Arms Mesa. They have a lefty on order in 308 so I'm having them hold it and I'm considering that option. Heard they have improved significantly since some issues of years past. The triggertech trigger and muzzle brake are appealing for sure. Thoughts?
That's a heck of a round for what you want to do, and the 300win isn't as obscene case volume wise (like the 300rum, etc. that are really overbore) so it can be down-loaded a bit to 308/ 30-06 vel. if you don't want full throttle...

It's a shame about missing out on the Tikka.
The Christensen should be good but costly.
I think the only reservation about the .300wm would be are you comfortable shooting one.
I probably wouldn't brake a .308. I've used it a lot and would not want the undue noise.
Braking a .300wm might help. My Tikka .300 is in a laminate stock and wears a limb saver pad. I like it but it's not used as much as my other's. But I have it if a want it.
You might have options with projectiles if you are worried about meat damage.

If you use a 180g berger and put it in the boiler maker, who cares how big the exit hole is. You will see it fall in a short distance. I have a T3x in .300wsm, it is a tack driver, but you will need a brake to shoot accurately. That is if you are going to be working up loads for it, if your shooting factories, find your brand, sight it in and go hunting. Good Luck!