Tikka Bottom Metal and Action Screw fitment issues

Lovellr653

I just purchased a bottom metal and hardened action screws from Mountain Tactical for my T3X. I tried installing the parts on my MESA precision stock and immediately ran into some issues. I will preface this with, the factory bottom plastic fit snugly and the factory action screws fit good although not as much thread engagement as I would have expected. The mountain tactical bottom metal has some slop length wise and seems to be a hair short on the front not the rear. Not sweating it I tried to install the new action screws. The front screw has minimal thread engagement and the rear screw won't engage at all. I verified my recoil lug was properly seated into the action and tried again, no luck. I also noticed the factory and aftermarket bottom metals sit a touch proud, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not (see picture). What the heck is going on here, is this a stock issue or a combination of out of tolerance parts? I reached out to Mountain tactical this morning, I'm hoping they have good customer service. Mesa did include a set of action screws with the stock which are about a thread longer than factory and MT, the rear screw will grab but one thread of engagement is unacceptable IMO.

Attachments

• Bottom Metal.jpg
    Bottom Metal.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 21

ShtrRdy

When you compare screw length between old and new screws, is there a difference?

If both bottom metal sits proud in the stock it sounds like the inlet wasn't cut deep enough.

Tac-O

Yup. I'd try the new bottom metal and screws in your factory stock. If they fit well with n there, I'd ask mesa to fix the inletting

Lovellr653

That's my thinking as well... The action screws provided by MESA are at most 1-2 threads longer than factory.

Lovellr653

In a world of e-mails I'm glad I ended up calling MESA. They are going cover the shipping for me to send them the stock and ensure the inletting is accurate and adjust it as necessary.