Tikka barrel swap

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Am going the lightweight route for a new backcountry rifle. Would love a Kimber MA at 5lbs for $1800...but not avail in 6.5 PRC.

Aside from Seekins Havak Element or Cooper Backcountry which are over what I want to spend, I've narrowed it down to a Savage 110 Ultralight (5.8lbs) chambered in 6.5 PRC from the factory at $1300...or...picking up a Tikka T3x Superlight in 7mm Rem Mag and throwing on a proof or carbon 6 carbon barrel for about $1400 total.

Seems the Tikka will be the more accurate rifle out of the box? With complaints only being the plastic stock...vs the Savage and the accutrigger and reports of some sloppiness in the bolt?

Anybody know roughly what I'd save in weight with a 21" proof over the Tikka factory 24" bbl? My concern is not knowing what profile of proof or carbon 6 will fit in that Tikka stock without rubbing.

If I can get the 6.4 lb Tikka 7mm mag down to the weight of the Savage by throwing on a carbon bbl, Id prefer that rifle I think.

Open to opinions from those who may have experience with either...

I did a Tikka build with a 24" Proof Carbon Sendero prefit and the Mesa Precision stock. 24" Proof barrel weighed 2 lbs 9.5 oz (never did weigh the factory barrel). Total weight came in right at 6.5 lbs. You can probably make the factory stock work but I'm guessing it will be less than ideal with a Proof barrel in it. Going off memory the Mesa stock weighed pretty much the same as the factory stock so no weight savings there at around 28 oz (though I like the Mesa a lot more than the factory stock). With a 21" barrel and an ultra-light stock you should be able to get down below 6 lbs on that tikka and have a slick rifle, though if you have to buy a new stock the build is going to be quite a bit more than $1,400.

Valid point. If I have to throw a new stock on, as well as a prefit bbl, I'm nearing $2k...while the 110 ultralight isn't the ideal rifle, the price is right.

Honestly you will not gain any weight savings if you pull the barrel from a tikka super light and swap it with a proof barrel. I just weighed a superlight 24" 300 win mag barrel today and it only weighs 2.5lbs. Proof lists a 20" 6.5 sendero light barrel as weighing 2lbs 10oz. If the tikka shoots keep it, if not swap it out for a custom, but don't expect to save any weight.

I'm about the pull the 6.5CM superlite barrel from mine. I can weight it when I get it off.

For now, with the barrel in a stripped action its 3lb 6 oz

Factory tikka stocks are too narrow @ the forend to accept a proof barrel - you will need a new stock if you decide to buy a prefit - as those prefits are a full sendero contour (quite a bit larger diameter then proof's sendero light)

Honestly you will not gain any weight savings if you pull the barrel from a tikka super light and swap it with a proof barrel. I just weighed a superlight 24" 300 win mag barrel today and it only weighs 2.5lbs. Proof lists a 20" 6.5 sendero light barrel as weighing 2lbs 10oz. If the tikka shoots keep it, if not swap it out for a custom, but don't expect to save any weight.

real reason for adding a proof is with a sale or discount, a pre-fit proof or carbon 6 is the same price for having the factory Tikka re-chambered....the Fins aren't fans of the 6.5 PRC it would seem.

Tikka proof prefits have had headspace issues in a few cases noted on some other forums. Shaen rifles in California will take a 6.5 creedmoor superlite and open the bolt face and Rechamber it to 6.5prc for around 385$. He'll cut the barrel to 22" and thread a 9/16x24 brake for a lil more. Get a wildcat composites stock that's 10oz lighter than the factory stock, you'll have a 5.5# Tikka 6.5prc for about 1600$ total. A proof prefit plus Mesa or ag stock is almost 1500$ alone, plus your donor rifle costs. For just 500$(Rechamber, open boltface) you'll have a 6# Tikka 6.5prc. Just a suggestion. I have a superlite I've been wanting to send in, but it shoots really well in the factory creed chamber.

There have been reports from earlier this year from Tikka that they would start chambering in 6.5 PRC - other discussions on LRH have linked the videos. If you want a custom. Build a custom. Not sure if being patient will provide you with a 6.5PRC superlite anytime soon or not.
But hearing others say they turned their build into a 6-1/2# rifle sounds great to me! I've been sitting on my donor tikka rifle for about 2 years now, just hoping tikka will take a lot of the work(and price) out of it for me.
i did pick up a X-bolt in 6.5prc and love it. Killed a lot of game so far this year.

Just for reference my Carbon 6 sendero profile (.830 muzzle) tikka shouldered prefit in 6.5 at 21" Long weighed in at 39.7oz. The 22-250 factory barrel (not super light) 22.4" long weighed 41 oz. Not much savings but I wanted the thick barrel to accommodate 5/8-24 muzzle threads while not weighing anymore. Mission accomplished. Also if you're going to replace the barrel, no need to buy a superlight, the only difference is the fluted barrel. Like others have said the factory stock will not accommodate a thick carbon barrel. If you don't need the thick contour, why not just get a shouldered prefit steel barrel from McGowen in a 2 contour or thereabouts? Should be able to come in at a similar weight and fit right in the factory stock.

vs the Savage and the accutrigger and reports of some sloppiness in the bolt?

Savage triggers aren't good and the replacements are just ok. It is just not a good action to put the custom work into. They are good for a cheaper custom or a guy who wants all his money in the optic. They do shoot.

Savage 12 true & time; mdt chassis; Rock Creek 1:10 300 WSM.....Still, the trigger (Jard) is light, but not very crisp.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record...I'd build of a bighorn or that Tikka. Bighorn, if I'm buying new or Tikka if I had it. I know you want light, but have you ever considered a #3 or a #4 in a carbon stock....pretty light, but good hunting accuracy. 22" in short action; 24" in long action;26" magnums.

Tikka action....I assume you have??
trigger - $200
barrel and chambering -$650
stock - B&C $415

Seems like a nice rifle under $1300.

Attachments

• 230546CD-60BF-4F69-9ECF-C8E3372DF6CD.jpeg
    230546CD-60BF-4F69-9ECF-C8E3372DF6CD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
  • 4F3E2D56-8176-4AE2-AD0B-C230B62B6925.jpeg
    4F3E2D56-8176-4AE2-AD0B-C230B62B6925.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Savage triggers aren't good and the replacements are just ok. It is just not a good action to put the custom work into. They are good for a cheaper custom or a guy who wants all his money in the optic. They do shoot.

Savage 12 true & time; mdt chassis; Rock Creek 1:10 300 WSM.....Still, the trigger (Jard) is light, but not very crisp.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record...I'd build of a bighorn or that Tikka. Bighorn, if I'm buying new or Tikka if I had it. I know you want light, but have you ever considered a #3 or a #4 in a carbon stock....pretty light, but good hunting accuracy. 22" in short action; 24" in long action;26" magnums.

Tikka action....I assume you have??
trigger - $200
barrel and chambering -$650
stock - B&C $415

Seems like a nice rifle under $1300.
A Tikka trigger is super easy to mod, but a 10$ spring, or shorten the trigger pull adjustment screw with a grinder, either will get you to a crisp 1.5# trigger thats just as good as a basic triggertech.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.