Tikka action vs custom SS action vs custom Ti action

Mc Fraser

Hello,
I was hoping to get the community thoughts on a few bullet points regarding a custom rig.
I want to build a 300 PRC hunting rifle. I want a rig that is light enough to pack and capable of shooting at 1000 yds. I doubt I will ever shoot past 500yds but I have the funds and I want to build a 1000 yds light rifle.
My two main drivers are weight and accuracy. I was planning to build it around a Lone Peak Razor Ti action and HC Light Hunter Carbon barrel. After asking around quite a bit I am left with the impression that:
1. For hunting purposes only, I should go with a factory (Tikka or Remington) action. Reason: custom actions are built to tight tolerances and are not quite suitable for my type of hunting (thick bush, high altitude 4000-6000 ft, snow or muddy terrain. I don't know how much a Tikka action weights but a Razor Ti is 21.5oz and an SS one weights 28.5oz.
2. Carbon barrels are not that light as I was lead to believe. I can get better value, accuracy, barrel life and less headache from a #3 benchmark SS barrel spiral fluted than a light hunter HC barrel. The SS barrel will be slightly heavier but in the big scheme of things, it won't make a huge difference.

That being said, is SS still the king of precision and with some fancy machining light enough or Ti actions and carbon wrapped barrels are the future and superior to SS actions and barrels?

Hello,
I was hoping to get the community thoughts on a few bullet points regarding a custom rig.
I want to build a 300 PRC hunting rifle. I want a rig that is light enough to pack and capable of shooting at 1000 yds. I doubt I will ever shoot past 500yds but I have the funds and I want to build a 1000 yds light rifle.
My two main drivers are weight and accuracy. I was planning to build it around a Lone Peak Razor Ti action and HC Light Hunter Carbon barrel. After asking around quite a bit I am left with the impression that:
1. For hunting purposes only, I should go with a factory (Tikka or Remington) action. Reason: custom actions are built to tight tolerances and are not quite suitable for my type of hunting (thick bush, high altitude 4000-6000 ft, snow or muddy terrain. I don't know how much a Tikka action weights but a Razor Ti is 21.5oz and an SS one weights 28.5oz.
2. Carbon barrels are not that light as I was lead to believe. I can get better value, accuracy, barrel life and less headache from a #3 benchmark SS barrel spiral fluted than a light hunter HC barrel. The SS barrel will be slightly heavier but in the big scheme of things, it won't make a huge difference.

That being said, is SS still the king of precision and with some fancy machining light enough or Ti actions and carbon wrapped barrels are the future and superior to SS actions and barrels?
Ask idahoctd about "hunting purposes only" for his tikka rifles that shoot extremely well. That said, your 300prc is long for a tikka. I agree with carbon v ss barrels. I have built both and prefer a #5 contour for 28 nos and 30cal stuff and lost a few oz. worth it to me.

If you're not concerned with price, build exactly what you want regardless of whether it's the "best" choice.

I wouldnt worry about most customs being too tight. That said, a Tikka is a great action but too short for a PRC.
A Remington is fine, but by the time you get it trued and buy the recoil lug, rail, etc, you could just about have a custom. PTG offers a blueprinted 700 with a Timney trigger for $790, but would still need truing by a smith according to what Ive heard. The carbon barrels do save some weight if you were to get a stiff enough barrel for a PRC.
Bottom line IMO would be to watch for a sale on a good custom that comes with things you might have to buy for the 700.

Tikka is not long enough to really build a 300 PRC right, slap whoever told you a custom action is not capable of harsh conditions, yep there are some that are not like Benchrest actions but I'll put a quality action like a Terminus or Defiance against a Rem any day of the week in crap conditions and having them actually run. Carbon is best if your needing the diameter to mount a brake or suppressor other wise you can get light with a simple barrel and fluting, what you can get away with depends on barrel length and if you need to mount a brake and such but a #4 makes a nice light 30 cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.