Tikka 6.5

alaskan9974

Hello all, ordered a T3X the other day in 6.5CM.

Usually use my 308 Rem 700 for intermediate ranges out to 600 yards, been using it for a few years and figured I'd try the 6.5 and see what the hype is about.

I typically load my 308 with a 178eldx and 45gr 4064 and net around 2475fps.

Finally got around to looking at the load manuals tonight and realized I probably would have been better off with a .243? I already bought a few boxes of .264 and a new nf scope so no going back. It'll give me something to play with until I get my .224 grendel done.

In the field does the 6.5mm 120gr hit harder then the .243? Energy seems to be equivalent with the velocity tipping towards the 243 under 600 yards.

You bought a great gun. If you handload the tikka will crush the 243.

I ran the numbers using ballistic AE just now and the most energy manufactured cartridge was a Berger VLD 95 humming at 3200 (again according to that app). It carries 1000ft lbs to 500 yds.

My tikka loaded to 2.93" with 143 eldx carries 1000ft lbs to 900 yds (1500@500) and bests the 243 the whole way there in everything but bullet drop (close on drop too).

Factory ammo is a bit slower but still beats the 243 but not by a lot. Kicker is that 6.5 tikka has a longer than normal throat and loaded long it pushes them quick.

I think the 243 would have been fine but if your looking for more energy I think you went with the right cartridge.

If you're only poking holes in paper then yes I would have gone 243 or 6x47 or 6br etc. but your interest in energy says you'll be hunting with it. So yes I would lean towards the 6.5 to hunt with.

funny thing is all the 6.5 CM fan boys use the whole "you just want mote energy to make up for your poor shooting" when comparing a 6.5CM to anything bigger than it is. Yet when they compare a 6mm to a 6.5 all of the sudden energy matters? The Creedmoor fan club will try to convince you that the caliber will do it all for you including pack the game out, process it, and serve it to you table side if you let them.

6.5 CM is an excellent target cartridge And small to med game I say it's acceptable. But I've burned a pile of 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 and 264 win barrels. They do not kill as efficiently as the 7s. Or the 7s as efficiently as the 30s. this summer alone I had had 63 shot times at deer doing crop management for 60 confirmed kills between 340 and 949 yards using a 6.5x284, 7wsm, 7rum, and 300wby. Two of the three unconfirmed shots came from the 6.5-284 past 600 yards. The other unconfirmed came from a 190 A Tip from the 7rum.

Last edited:
If you're only poking holes in paper then yes I would have gone 243 or 6x47 or 6br etc. but your interest in energy says you'll be hunting with it. So yes I would lean towards the 6.5 to hunt with.
Yes, mainly for Caribou. How does the thin tikka barrel work suppressed? I've never used my cans on a hunting profile barrel before. I tried finding annular cutter pilots and thread starters in 6.5mm but haven't had any luck.

I try to stay within 3-400 yards, I've since realized the farther away I shoot them, the longer distance it is to carry it back to the boat....

Yes, mainly for Caribou. How does the thin tikka barrel work suppressed? I've never used my cans on a hunting profile barrel before. I tried finding annular cutter pilots and thread starters in 6.5mm but haven't had any luck.

I try to stay within 3-400 yards, I've since realized the farther away I shoot them, the longer distance it is to carry it back to the boat....
Caribou have always been really easy to kill in my experience. You'll do fine with the CM to 400. Your thin barrel will do fine with a can. The whole "your barrel has to be free floating" thing is internet nonsense as well. Half of my rifles are bedded the entire barrel Chanel. My 7wsm is and it's a legit 1/3 MOA gun or better my 300wby and 7rum are as well and they are about 1/2moa.

If you run into issues group wise with the can on the 6.5 CM. Try bedding the the barrel to the stock from the front sling stud to the end of the stock. Ive soon some of the suppressors create their own barrel whip and throw off the harmonics of your bed job. This seems more common on the sporter weight barrels than the heavier ones.

Last edited:
Yep and a 6.5 CM can't miss either.

Stay away from the koolaid. 22lr have killed grizzly bear. Doesn't make it an intelligent choice. If I put a 6.5 CM in the last rib on a quartering away shot on a big bull I'd be wishing for a Magnum.
We get it. You hate the creed. How about just staying off the creedmoor threads until you can post something that's actually helpful instead of bashing. We can all agree it's not the end all thing. Bashing does absolutely nothing constructive with anything. I get it, your sick of hearing how great it is. Me too. I'm also sick of listening to people bashing something for no other reason than its extremely popular right now. Let's all get over it and move on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.