Tikka 595 Long Range Rifle project for 2010

Joaquin B

I would like to get started on a long range hunting rifle project for 2010. This project involves taking my Tikka 595, in .260 Rem. with a 24 " barrel which I currenly use for HP Hunter Silhouette shooting, and fitting a 26" barrel in .260 Rem. Ackley Improved. The barrel would retain the origninal barrel's countour (0.650") at the muzzle if I keep the original stock, which is not too bad.

Here are my questions, if anyone wants to weigh-in:

1.- If I keep the original stock and barrel countour, can the action/stock fit be improved by pillar bedding the action screws?

2.- If I decide to go with a 0.700" muzzle countour, are there any available fiberglass stocks that will take a Tikka 595 action? Will on of Holland's stocks fit?

3.- Does anyone make metal replacement trigger guard/magazine holders for Tikka rifles?

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

I can answer number 1. Yes. Anytime you can make the action set in a rifle in a more rigid configuration you can only improve its accuracy. I have seen guys with pillar bedded action screws still glass bed for added stability. You could always go with an aluminum bedding block to tighten things up as well. These steps help to greatly reduce any effect weather (hot, cold, wet, dry) may have on accuracy. Wind is wind and you still have to read that!

Tank

1.- If I keep the original stock and barrel countour, can the action/stock fit be improved by pillar bedding the action screws?

Pillar bedding is a good idea but there is a right way to do it and a wrong way. There are numerous threads on this, especially in the Gunsmithing section. i would advise reading and re-reading thme to get a ballanced understanding f what it's all about.

2.- If I decide to go with a 0.700" muzzle countour, are there any available fiberglass stocks that will take a Tikka 595 action? Will on of Holland's stocks fit?

The only aftermarket producer of drop in fiberglass stocks for Sako's that I know of is McMillan. They might do Tikka 595's as well, but I dont know. You might give them a call. And amybe someone else will chime in.

3.- Does anyone make metal replacement trigger guard/magazine holders for Tikka rifles?

Not that I know of... again I would advise calling the different outfits that make bottom metal and mags and ask. If they dont, then ask them if they know who does.

Mark

On question #2, Contact Joel Russo on this website he makes some outstanding laminate stocks!
(gotta order mine for my tikka 695)

On the bedding question, I have 2 Sendero's with factory aluminum bedding blocks and I had them skim bedded as well, Money well spent, just my .0002

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.