Tikka .338 Win mag Struggles

a similar situation with a 338wm , i wouldn't give up without trying an all copper bullet first

i had tried several jacketed type bullets with several different powder types totaling about 15 different combinations & none would group less than 1-1/4" , i cant explain it but something changed when i tried the barnes ttxs 225 , ended up getting way better groups ..

i thought the rifle was doomed, yet ended up shooting .333 at its best

sometimes the aluminum recoil lug in tikkas (especially with heavy recoiling rifles) gets pounded out, You can pull it out of the stock and flip it over and it will tighten up the action in the stock. If this helps your accuracy then buy a stainless recoil lug and replace your factory lug.

Tikka's, historicallyexhibit very god accuracy, but they can build a loser, much like anyone else. If you are fairly certain that everything ( scope, bases, rings, etc.) are OK, my suggestion may be to get another shooter, to sit behind it. This was not meant as an insult, merely someone else may do better....then find out why. I was pretty dissatisfied with the groups I was getting with my lightweight, 375 AI. A friend of mine wanted to shoot it, his previous experience was with a 30-06, and was scared to death to shoot it. He promptly shot a 3/4" group, when my best had been 1". Embarrassed, I asked him what he did. He said he was scared of getting hit by the scope, and held the rifle "very" firmly. I had been trying to have minimal contact, only to stabilize! I then, gave it a "bear hug", and substantially reduced my group size. Plus, it didn't kick me nearly as hard as what I had experienced for 2 years! memtb

Tikka's, historicallyexhibit very god accuracy, but they can build a loser, much like anyone else. If you are fairly certain that everything ( scope, bases, rings, etc.) are OK, my suggestion may be to get another shooter, to sit behind it. This was not meant as an insult, merely someone else may do better....then find out why. I was pretty dissatisfied with the groups I was getting with my lightweight, 375 AI. A friend of mine wanted to shoot it, his previous experience was with a 30-06, and was scared to death to shoot it. He promptly shot a 3/4" group, when my best had been 1". Embarrassed, I asked him what he did. He said he was scared of getting hit by the scope, and held the rifle "very" firmly. I had been trying to have minimal contact, only to stabilize! I then, gave it a "bear hug", and substantially reduced my group size. Plus, it didn't kick me nearly as hard as what I had experienced for 2 years! memtb

As I mentioned earlier, the T3 Lites came with the most godawful hard rubber recoil pad. IMO, my experience with changing it out to a Limbsaver, was an absolute game changer and I would pretty much guarantee that a sensitive shooter would see the difference immediately.

I buy STEEL Recoil Lugs for my Tikka's, put LimbSaver's on them, then adjust the Triggers to 2-2.25 pounds. Next I find good "Tangent Ogive" type, Bullet because, the Bullets have to "Jump" from the Tikka's Magazine into a LONG throated Chamber. Don't look for "tip top" Velocity,.. ACCURACY, first ! Most, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra GK's and Berger "Classic Hunters",.. shoot in Tikka's ! Good luck with it !
PS; make sure that, your Barrel is NOT touching, the sides of the forend, CHECK to see if, "Free Floated" as, one of my Tikka's was "touching". The 210 Nosler Part's shot real well, in my 1-10 Twist, .338 WM barrel at about,2,940 FPS.

Last edited:
Steel recoil Lugs were, on Sale at Midway for $15.00
I bought one about, 2-3 weeks ago. You might try, the 225 gr Hornady SP Interlock's or 225 gr AccuBond's too.

Long story short: bought 2 months ago, tried 7 different factory ammo, checked every possibility, could not group better than 2.5 inch, sent gun back, gun FAILED THEIR accuracy test, new barrel fitted along with my muzzle brake and scope, received 2 days ago. No time to go rifle range any time soonđź‘Ť.

Attachments

• IMG-82adf8ab43f57088c6efbeeb8d868072-V.jpg
    IMG-82adf8ab43f57088c6efbeeb8d868072-V.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 75
well, there you go, it actually was their fault. good that they stood behind it and fixed the problem. hopefully the new setup will yield better results.

well, there you go, it actually was their fault. good that they stood behind it and fixed the problem. hopefully the new setup will yield better results.
Different guy, I suppose. OP hasn't visited the site since 11/06/2018.

Yeah, im new, different, but just wanted to say that despite all caution a lemon barrell sneaks through from time to time.

Well I didn't read through all these posts so here goes my opinion. Knowing Tikkas and how well they shoot the first thing I would do is swap out the scope with a known good scope. Some guys even change out the Tikka rings for others (I don't know why, but they claim the Tikka rings are junk). I don't feel that way. If you've verified that the scope isn't the issue then I recommend you conatact Tikka and ask them what they tested the rifle with. The guarantee 3 shots in 1 MOA.
One other thought. Have you tried shooting it without cleaning it? Some rifles like being shot with a dirty barrel.
OOPS: I just read the last post. Good to hear. Let us know how it shoots

Unless you just got lucky enough to get a dog try this. The 338 has a 2 degree no throat chamber. These designs shoot the best just off the lands. Sierra 215 or 250. The old speer hot core 200. Nosler partition. Smoke your bullets and seat just off the lands. The bullets you listed all have to jump to fit in the magazine.