Tikka 308/243 bolt swap?

Of001

Can I swap bolts between 243 and 308 in a tikka t3x? Without a gunsmith that is

my basement flooded and the clean up company lost the bolt for my tikka t3x in 308.

My options now are to buy a bolt (in Canada I'm looking at 5-700 cad new/shipped) or I can get a new rifle for about $1000.

I've been contemplating a tikka in 243 for a long time. If I were to get one could I just swap the bolt back and forth?

While it would work (same bolt face), I would be concerned about the head space not being proper when swapping it to your 308. Maybe their tolerances are tight enough it wouldn't be an issue.

If it were me, I wouldn't want the hassle of swapping a bolt between two rifles. Can you buy a replacement from LongRifles Inc? Not sure if they could ship to Canada though..

This is owned by a Sponsor on here. It's showing it's our of stock but you should get ahold of them.
They get new stuff in frequently

There is another place that builds a custom bolt and they seem way better. I'll see if I can find it for ya

There ya go. One stop shop. Ya can ask em about the headspace issues but I think it's plug and play

my basement flooded and the clean up company lost the bolt for my tikka t3x in 308.
Their cleanup, their dime. Have them pay for the rifle.
No way to know if a replacement bolt will headspace correctly. If you buy a replacement bolt, and it doesn't headspace correctly- it's gunsmith time.

Nothing is plug and play with production rifles, and that includes Tikka.

Tikka offers a level of consistency unmatched by most producers. Some barrel makers offer prefits barrels for the Tikka platform.

@Of001 if you are comfortable and feel competent disassembling your bolt, you can test the headspace with some once fired brass and some masking tape on the case head.

Alternatively, a gunsmithcan confirm the bolt headspaces properly on both rifles in about one minute with a set of go/no-go gauges.

Thanks a bunch guys.
You folks really are amazing.
I'm going to have to think on my budget.

The insurance company said to pound sand. There shouldn't have been gun stuff for them to misplace to begin with apparently.

Thanks a bunch guys.
You folks really are amazing.
I'm going to have to think on my budget.

The insurance company said to pound sand. There shouldn't have been gun stuff for them to misplace to begin with apparently.
I wish ya the best I this endeavor !
If I were you I'd call the Smith I linked
Don't listen to the nay saying, all it takes is an email or phone call 🍺

I have swapped bolts between a T3 CTR in 260 and a T3 Lite in 270. They both headspace the same with any of my barrels. I have 5 barrels for the action that started as a 270, one is a Preferred Barrels shouldered prefit. LRI wouldn't sell a replacement bolt if Tikkas were not plug and play.