Tikka 300wsm Mod Suggestions

Dilly_9

Looking for more capability, accuracy while saving weight. That being said, any insight on stock, barrel options would be appreciated. Tikka's are known for not allowing longer, high BC bullets without swapping the bullet stop but I'm sure I need to change out the stock/mag set up etc. I like the idea of pre-fits but this rifle will not be over shot as it will be used 90% for hunting elk. I'm new to rifle builds so if I'm looking at this wrong please advise. Cheers.

I would leave it alone, spend the money on ammo/components/gas/time off work. Factory tikka is an excellent gun for the elk woods. If you are planning to do a lot of long range shooting then maybe a heavier stock, muzzle break if you're into that kind of thing, and a quality scope.

If you're hunting the timber throw a 3-9x40 on it and hit the elk woods.

I made, Kydex Cheek Risers for my Tikka's, to obtain good, "Cheek Weld's" for longer distance shooting and put, Elay Precision, Trigger Springs in them, then set, the trigger Pulls for, a Crisp, 1.5 Pounds. I carry 3 rounds, in the Magazine ( Empty Chamber, til' ready to, shoot an animal ).
Your probably going to, want to thread the Barrel / install, a Brake for, the .300 WSM's, Recoil to "work up loads" ( as NO Fun, on, the Bench ! )
Somebody will come along and recommend Bullets for you ( I know that, a 180 -200 grain AccuBond would work fine but, there are some GOOD High BC, Berger Hunting Bullets available, too . I shoot, a .270 WSM with, 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunters, for Elk, in mine @ 3,185 FPS.
As, stated by, willfrye027 above, the Tikka Barrels, ARE,. quite good and no need to, replace them. All 3 of, my Tikka's shoot,.. 1/2 to 3/4, MOA.
Buy, a good Quality scope that, you can "Dial" elevation and be sure to, Lap the Rings , de-grease and Loctite, the Base and Rings !
The .300 / .338 Mag's, have been known to, "shake off" scopes,.. IF, not done, RIGHT !
Put a Level on the Scope and use, a Plum-Bob / string at, 400- 500 yards to make sure that, the Cross hairs are,.. Straight !
Check for scope alignment, by shooting Bullets at, a long "Cross" on, a "Tall Target".
Then, put your Money into, quality Bullets / good, Hand Loads, Learning to shoot in, the WIND and more, Practice from, Field Positions !
Good Luck !

Last edited:
I believe that, the Guys are buying, the .300 Win Mag. Magazines and adjusting, the Bolt Stops for, the Longer, Berger Bullet, COAL's, in the .300 WSM, Tikka's.
My son bought, 7 MM Rem Mag Magazines and adjusted his Bolt stop for, the 168 grain, Berger HVLD's in, his 7mm -08 and it works, great.
Might want to look on YouTube, HERE or, Google for Info, on this.

Thanks fellas. All good points! I've shot it quite a bit (260) round count) and it shoots right at 1 MOA. My scope is the Vortex LH 3x15 and rings are lapped. The stock just has that plastic flimsy feel to it. Trigger spring is definitely on the list. Tossed around the idea of getting a 300 PRC and building it the way I want but I already have this Tikka in the safe and thought maybe I can throw some upgrades to it and be done. My 6.5 PRC is my first out hunting rifle as it shoots lights out but having a 30 cal option of which I can have more bullet options for shots out to 600 is appealing. I'm likely over thinking this but a small project rifle sounds fun with all the available options out there.

If you are shooting 1 MOA stock, maybe something like adding a B&C stock and aics bottom metal would be your best bet. Not sure what needs done to fit the AICS. That will give you 2.98" oal, not bad. Both the 3rd and 7rd hang out the bottom.

2.98" would be better for a 270 WSM…..but then that starts to look like a real build as it requires a barrel and then a brake becomes a good idea.

Someone makes a trigger and someone else makes a spring! I'd ask a smith to get me a good, safe 2lb trigger. Let them figure it out.

Lots of good suggestions so far. Make it a long action with the bolt stop mod. Berge 210 VLD hunting and 205 elite hunters will work with the 1:11 twist.

The limbsaver recoil pad already mentioned is a huge upgrade. I love muzzle brakes but not everyone does.

I'd upgrade to these magazines:

They work with factory bottom metal but I'd probably upgrade to metal bottom metal:

Tikka Performance has a lot of upgrades to look over.

Finally, maybe a Manners EH1 stock upgrade.

Lots of good suggestions so far. Make it a long action with the bolt stop mod. Berge 210 VLD hunting and 205 elite hunters will work with the 1:11 twist.

The limbsaver recoil pad already mentioned is a huge upgrade. I love muzzle brakes but not everyone does.

I'd upgrade to these magazines:

They work with factory bottom metal but I'd probably upgrade to metal bottom metal:

Tikka Performance has a lot of upgrades to look over.

Finally, maybe a Manners EH1 stock upgrade.
Much appreciated! Do you know if the EH1 has a stock inlet for the tikka bottom metal? I'd call but I'm sure they are closed on weekends. Nice to have the flexibility to widen the channel potentially down the line to support a proof or carbon six barrel if the build gets that far.

Thanks fellas. All good points! I've shot it quite a bit (260) round count) and it shoots right at 1 MOA. My scope is the Vortex LH 3x15 and rings are lapped. The stock just has that plastic flimsy feel to it. Trigger spring is definitely on the list. Tossed around the idea of getting a 300 PRC and building it the way I want but I already have this Tikka in the safe and thought maybe I can throw some upgrades to it and be done. My 6.5 PRC is my first out hunting rifle as it shoots lights out but having a 30 cal option of which I can have more bullet options for shots out to 600 is appealing. I'm likely over thinking this but a small project rifle sounds fun with all the available options out there.

Looking for more capability, accuracy while saving weight. That being said, any insight on stock, barrel options would be appreciated. Tikka's are known for not allowing longer, high BC bullets without swapping the bullet stop but I'm sure I need to change out the stock/mag set up etc. I like the idea of pre-fits but this rifle will not be over shot as it will be used 90% for hunting elk. I'm new to rifle builds so if I'm looking at this wrong please advise. Cheers.
I too have a Tikka in 300WSM. It's a great rifle but the stock didn't fit. I bought a Boyd's thumbhole now it fits, fired on game 4 times got two elk and a pig

I too have a Tikka in 300WSM. It's a great rifle but the stock didn't fit. I bought a Boyd's thumbhole now it fits, fired on game 4 times got two elk and a pig
Which stock did you select? I have thought about swapping stocks on my T3 300WSM but it is just a laser with the factory stock (and I added a Limbsaver recoil pad).