Tikka 300wsm bullet options?

jtr1997

i have tried 165 speer spitzer and 165 hornady gmx. i dont want to shoot more than 180 or less than 165, what are you guys using

My brothers' tikka 300wsm really like nosler ballistic tips in that weight (165) with reloader 19

I mentioned it in your other thread, but my 300 WSM x-bolt loves 180 grain Barnes TTSX.

that is one i really want to try. i had the 2 i tried on hand have a few 180 accubonds also . I wouldnt mind trying the 185 berger classic hunting. anybody know how they do off the lands by a bit. i havent meusered max coal because i just went so they fit my mag if i had to guess id say its 40 to 30 thousands off.

that is one i really want to try. i had the 2 i tried on hand have a few 180 accubonds also . I wouldnt mind trying the 185 berger classic hunting. anybody know how they do off the lands by a bit. i havent meusered max coal because i just went so they fit my mag if i had to guess id say its 40 to 30 thousands off.

Before I reloaded I had good luck (sub moa) with 180 accubonds, then really liked the 180 federal trophy coppers (0.5 moa).

The TTSX was the closest I could find to the Trophy Coppers, and every load from 61.0 to 63.0 in half grain increments was under 0.75 moa, with three under 0.5. I seated them 0.050 off the lands as per the Barnes recommendation.

I used both federal and norma brass, and both gave best groups at 2890 fps with H4350 and WLR primers. The WLRM primers with federal brass gave me larger groups across the board.

By the way, I'm a brand new reloader so I'm just posting this to relay my experience, I'm in the very early learning stages.

Best of luck.

Before I reloaded I had good luck (sub moa) with 180 accubonds, then really liked the 180 federal trophy coppers (0.5 moa).

The TTSX was the closest I could find to the Trophy Coppers, and every load from 61.0 to 63.0 in half grain increments was under 0.75 moa, with three under 0.5. I seated them 0.050 off the lands as per the Barnes recommendation.

I used both federal and norma brass, and both gave best groups at 2890 fps with H4350 and WLR primers. The WLRM primers with federal brass gave me larger groups across the board.

By the way, I'm a brand new reloader so I'm just posting this to relay my experience, I'm in the very early learning stages.

Best of luck.

im new also dont even have my own stuff yet but im free to use whatever i want at my uncles place. from what i have heard tikka and sako both like 180s best

I use the Berger Classic in 168 gr. when I want to carry multiple rounds in my Browning Micro Medallion in 300 WSM. They cycle fine and group well, but you do take a hit with the BC.

I believe the 300 WSM was developed to build a light mountain rifle for hunting Elk and such game in the high country. To hold close to the 300 WM Winchester in power they based the cartridge on the 180 gr. bullet. My 300 WSM Shoots about 1.75 groups with 150 gr. 1.25 with 165, and .8 or less with 180 gr. at 100 meters. I use 180gr. Hornady SST for deer and going to the range and Nosler 180 gr. Partition for larger game. My load is, Primer, Win. LRM . Powder IMR 4350 65.0 (Sixty Five gr). Bullet, Hornady 180 Gr. SST or Nosler 180 Gr. Partition. O.A.L. 2.860 in. At 7 1/4 lb. Gun, Bases, rings, sling and 4 rounds ammo, makes one light powerful package.

I cant use vld but i dont know about the classic hunting the detachable mag restricts my seating depth

FYI, the tikka T3 in WSM has some solid potential since its a long action receiver. Folks have reported a long action mag will work with the WSM cartridges (may have to file the feed lips a tiny bit) and you'll need to file back the bolt stop to the long action catch point or replace it with a long action one. But when all said and done you have more COAL than you'd ever need available if you need it to accommodate a desired bullet/seating position.

Even if interested in that mod I wouldn't run out and do it till you've worked up a load that requires it. I kept it in mind with my T3 in 7-08 but the gun actually shot better with a longer jump (which still fit the magazine) vs when seated out closer to the lands. I just did all the loading single shot and was prepared to tweak the gun if there was a solid performance difference in a longer COAL.

i think i figured out a load with the 165 hornady gmx. .45 when i subtract bullet diameter. 69.0 grains of IMR 4831 (a grain above max from a nosler book but no pressure problems.) federal 210 match primer. Im going to load it again and if it shoots the same im going to stick with it

I cant use vld but i dont know about the classic hunting the detachable mag restricts my seating depth
jtr1997,
The Berger CLASSIC HUNTERS are designed to be used at standard magazine lengths and are very tolerant of jump. Bullet performs on game just like the VLD hunting bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts