Tikka 300WM - want longer OAL

My solution for my Finnlight 300 WSM, with detachable mag box, was to seat the bullets close to the lands and only load one round down in the box while 1 round was chambered. This gave me a 2 shot configuration. It's a configuration that some don't like but works for others. It's not a perfect solution but it is an easier and less costly one.

Hi everybody,

I thought I may bring this thread back to life ...

I was doing some research before buying a TIkka t3 in 300 WM and came across the issue with COL and longer / heavier bullets. A serious drawback in my view in deciding in favor of this rifle/cartridge combination.
I've started with some basic reloading recently and my idea was to fine-tune and adjust factory ammo and own loads to future rifle striving for sub-moa accuracy for first couple of shots. The plan is to use the gun as a "rough, go-everywhere" working rifle in Kazakhstan for medium and long range hunting (200 to 600 m max.).

@ DND:

Thanks a lot for sharing all the information !!! really great!
kind of opened up a window for a solution.

I read in the previous posts some questions other readers have had and would like to share my personal Tikka T3 configuration/changing list after a lot of researching. That may exactly provide the answers some folks were looking for. (see my next post)

1. Tikka T3 Laminated stainless in 300 WM
normal barrel contour 17mm (some folks in a german forum wrote me that is actually 15 mm... :cool: ) with muzzle thread, standard single-stage trigger

2. Lumley arms titan recoil lug in a set with stainless pillars and action screws (will epoxy-bed it). The original alu lug is told to have "imprints" from the action in more powerful cartridges... and it is not bedded into the stock. there are many options for stainless steel recoil lugs on the market.

3. Atlasworx aluminium bottom metal/trigger guard in stainless which accepts original tikka mags. Acceptable pricing.

4. ASH (German gun smith & small manufacturer) metal bolt cap (replacing the original black plastic one)

5. Original Optilock picatinny rail in stainless for T3

6. I am still waiting for an aswer from MDT on their steel magazines whetehr they can be used instead of factory mags but without their chassis. If so, I will go for two of them. Maybe they can also be modified "DND style"... I shall try out and will report here.

If someone plans to go for a AI mags system, Mountain tactical also offers them in US.

I will most likely put a S&B PMII scope on top of it fixed by a QD block mount by era-tac.

I like heavier barrels and have made good experiences with these, but weight is a "heavy" factor. Varmint T3's are to thick. If Tikka would offer something inbetween, like Sauer, with 18-19 mm contour, I would opt for it. but 22mm varmint models are to heavy.
BTW, Tikka seems to cheat on the rifles' weights. Most reviews and many statements in international forums say that it is on each model 150-300 gramms below reality..

I would love to install it in a MDT chassis which has many advantages IMO, but I want my guns to look like hunting guns, not military tools...

ASH also offers a 3-stage firing pin safety, but I think I will try the gun first with the original 2 stage safety.

I would like to install open / iron sights on the rifle as well (for short distances and driven hunts) and am still thinking which front sight saddle in stainless steel. back sight will be an LPA ghost ring which I already have.

Hope this info will help someone considering buying or modifying a T3.

Just got a response from MDT - Their steel mags work only with their chassis.

Thus, I will look for a steel mag option for T3's and if nothing comes out, I probably will go for a steel or alu bottom metal accepting AI mags and walk DND's path..

Just got a response from MDT - Their steel mags work only with their chassis.

Thus, I will look for a steel mag option for T3's and if nothing comes out, I probably will go for a steel or alu bottom metal accepting AI mags and walk DND's path..

AI magazines will not work with the Tikka T3. This has nothing to do with the chassis or bottom metal used. Because the medium action can be used for both short and long calibers, for long calibers there is not enough room for the magazine.

This is why at MDT we made a magazine that is like an AI magazine, but slightly shorter. AI magazines come in 3.715, 7.775 and 3.850 lengths. The one we made for Tikka is 3.560.

The ONLY way you can use a longer AI style mag with the Tikka T3 is if you modify your action.

So anyone that sells a chassis or bottom metal for the Tikka T3 will disclose that your action will need modification, or use our shorter magazine...

6. I am still waiting for an aswer from MDT on their steel magazines whetehr they can be used instead of factory mags but without their chassis. If so, I will go for two of them. Maybe they can also be modified "DND style"... I shall try out and will report here.
Yes you can use our 3.560 magazines without our chassis, but you would need to place an insert inside the mag well to allow for the magazine to seat properly. This is probably an easier solution than cutting into the action.

@ MDT Corp:

Thanks a lot for clarifying!
I got your response to me via email the wrong way.

Googled any info on modifying Tikka T3 action to accomodate greater COALs, not much info.

MDTCorp, are there examples / references to gunsmiths / description - actually any infos you can point to - on modifiying T3 actions ? Would be greatly appreciated!

DND, your just doing this with the CDi bottom metal for a tikka? I see the magazine modifications on getting the system to run correct but I want to make sure I order the correct bottom metal. This bottom metal takes the 300wm AIC magazines?

Just fwiw, Mountain Tactical is releasing their own Long Action bottom metal as well. Will need modification, but it will allow 3.60" overall length if I remember right

Mountain tactical released their bottom metal which I am running now in my 7x300 and it feeds 3.625 flawlessly after some small modifications

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.